96 Ranger XLT temperature guage is acting strange. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Ranger XLT temperature guage is acting strange.

TjtheGreyt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Ranger XLT
I bought my 96 Ranger (5 spd, 4 cyl) back in March. Back then it had only 86K miles. It now has 94K. The previous owner told me he had just replaced the thermostat with a "fail safe" one that would remain in the open position should anything go wrong with it.

On my way to work this morning, I had a wierd experience. The AC was on and I noticed the temp guage hand was not in the middle as it noramlly is. Instead, it was dropping to the low side of normal. On a whim, I turned off the AC. A few seconds later the temp guage returned to the middle like normal. I turned the AC back on and everything was fine until about 25 minutes later when the hand then climbed to the high end of the normal range as I pulled away from a traffice light. A couple minutes later, it dropped back to normal.

This afternoon as I headed home, the temp hand climbed up to the high side of normal again everytime I pulled away from traffic lights and quickly returned to normal. A coworker said it could be a sending unit and probably not the thermostat.

Any ideas?

I bought my 96 Ranger (5 spd, 4 cyl) back in March. Back then it had only 86K miles. It now has 94K. The previous owner told me he had just replaced the thermostat with a "fail safe" one that would remain in the open position should anything go wrong with it.

...Fixed it for you...;)

..I am not familiar with such a thermostat myself, (nor, did you mention or have posted your location under your name) so it would be a guess to what temps you locally might have...But I am guessing that you have a T-stat going bad or a heater core that will soon be...:dunno:

welcome

Back