Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

96 speaker install

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by Shaggy_32003, April 5, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Tags:
  1. Shaggy_32003

Shaggy_32003 New Member

City, State:
    Bonne Terre, Missouri
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1996 Explorer XLT
    ok i just bought some memphis speakers to put in all the doors and i was going to use the wires all the way from the speaker to the head unit that came with the speakers... but i wanted to hide the speakers so it all still looks stock... well after finding out that i was unable to do this i decided to just splice into the stock wires (it killed me to do it) and use them... but now im stuck with not knowing what wire does what.... theres a blue/white wire and a green/red wire... which one is negative and positive? and is splicing a good idea or will sound quality diminish?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Shaggy_32003

Shaggy_32003 New Member

City, State:
    Bonne Terre, Missouri
    1996 Explorer XLT
    nevermind figured it out....

4. kkreit01

kkreit01 Active Member

City, State:
    Olathe, KS
    '08 Sport Trac V8 2wd XLT
    Good. You won't notice a difference using stock wire off of HU power. You don't need to worry about upgrading speaker wire until you get into high power amps.

5. morpho18

morpho18 New Member

City, State:
    Des Moines, IA
    1997 XLT
    Yesterday I installed new speakers and ran all new wire from the head unit to the speakers. It looks like a tough job because it is! The hardest part for me was running the wire through the rubber channels that run between the door and vehicle. 5 hours later and everything works great.

6. badboyzkustumz

badboyzkustumz New Member

City, State:
    hollywood CA
    96 Exp,EB edition,5.0 V8
    just a heads up guys, if you pull one side of the rubber protect in between the door away from the side and turn it to the back you can make a slit in it (carefully!) which will make it easier to run the wire. when you are done take some liquid tape ( i use a black type to blend in), usually comes in a brush on form, and just brush it on the slit. seals up just as good, then put the rubber protect back. 5-10 mins a door.