96 xlt 2wd shock question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swordfish94x

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4dr 2wd Explorer
Hey so I have a 96 4.0 rwd explorer xlt, I was just about to buy a set of new bilsteins for it but am a little confused. So far I have come up with the part numbers 24-021326 for the rear and 24-021319) for the front. The part I'm confused about is the wesbsites say these don't fit my vehicle. before i order them i wanted to ask you guys if those are the right ones. Also, if i do end up lifting it a couple inches would i need new shocks or with the spindle/shackle lift would those still fit. Thank You for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone at all? was hoping i could order them today so i could throw them in for the weekend

Get yourself a set of Monroe load adjusters.

..a Second on the Monroe Load Adjusters. If you want the Bilsteins on the front, go for it. But if you want to just get rid of the "Explorer Sag" on the rear, the Monroe's are your best & most economical bet. ...Can't help ya' on the shackle lift, never done one.

I had a look at Bilsteins recently and had the same questions you have.

2 things: 1. I think they come in different lengths for lowered and standard.
2. The bot will say it doesn't fit if it thinks your have air lift.

Try going directly to Bilstein for the information then buy where you like.

I installed the load adjusters and warrior shackles and got close to 4 inches of lift. My rear end was soft and floaty feeling. The load adjusters were the best thing I ever did for the ride.

Back