1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

96 xlt v8 2wd smoking coming from inside the cab

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by Forz, December 23, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Forz

Forz New Member

City, State:
      ca
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      96 xlt v8
      me and my girlfriend where driven down the freeway and all the sudden we smelt something burn and we tought no big deal, maybe it was a car infront of us then the cab started to fill with smoke that appeared to be coming from either the rear pas. seat or the rear pas. door. anyways we get off the freeway and pull over we try to unlock the door they dont work we try to roll down the windows nothing by that time the smoke stoped. I tryed the keyless entry on the door and the remote it only sets the alarm wont lock the doors .I figure this is cause what ever was smoken prolly blow the fuse thats why it stoped smoking and the locks and the doors dont work.Any way anyone had this problem that can drop me some hints on where to start looken.

PS
      the cap was beeping after the smoke stopped but then stopped.
      i checked all fuse all are good.

car specs
      96 xlt v8 2wd
      mods
      kicker amp 1200.1,kenwood 400watt 4 channel amp, 1.2 f cap, 1-12" solar baric l7 and 1-10" solar baric l7.
      141.1 db for anyone that was woundering

Last edited: December 23, 2004
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. V8BoatBuilder

V8BoatBuilder Transplanted Bostonian

City, State:
      East Brunswick, NJ
      97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
      The fact that your power windows and keyless didn't work after the incident lead me to believe the problem started out electrical. (Or it wasn't but burned through some wires)

What did the smoke smell like?

How are the wires run for your audio gear? It's possible a large gauge wire got pinched to the body, and a short circuit developed.

Here's what I would do if it was my truck:

1) Disconnect the battery. Don't want to take any chances.

2) Look underneith the driver's side framerail at the fuel filter, and fuel lines. While you're under the truck, drop the spare tire, and look at the fuel pump above it. Look at the fuel lines in the engine bay. I don't think your problem is fuel related, because it happened on the other side of the truck - but fires are serious. And you don't want to take any chances with gasoline!!!!

3) Look undernieth the truck on the passenger side. That's where the catalytic converters and muffler are. They get HOT. It's possible something, such as a flying plastic bag or other road debris got caught on your exhaust system.
      4) If you still don't see anything obvious, start disassembling the interior around the passenger seat, where you said the smoke came from. How are your stereo wires run? Where are you amps?

Basically you just have to use your eyes on this one - and really go over that truck.

When you're done, replace fuses one by one. See what happens, does the effected device come back online? Does the fuse blow? Is there smoke? All can happen, all can help you find the problem.

4. Forz

Forz New Member

City, State:
      ca
      96 xlt v8
      hey its me i checked all my radio gear all checked out. So i started checking the doors and i found 2 wires what had been rubbing in between the window motor and the windows arm so i striped the tape back all the way till it meets more wires i checked them out and taped them up cause i could see anymore wire damage i replace the fuse trun on the back windows and the swtich start smoking again so i turned it off. now i go to turn on the headlight and they work but i have no dash light at this point i am a little pissed so i press the door lock button and what do you know the dashlights come on so i said #### i locked it up pulled the fuse and went to sleep went back to it today and now the little door charms comes and the dash lights when you press the door lock so i discounted the battery. So its just sitting in the drive way D.O.A waiting to head to the shop tomorro any suggestion.

5. Forz

Forz New Member

City, State:
      ca
      96 xlt v8
      Well i final figured out what happen. the ele. windows shorted out and smoked the wires under the rear seat and smoked my 4 way switch on the drivers door. I have fixed everything in rear both rear windows work and all wires look good i have checked all the door locks everything. the only problem i have left is that when i flip the switch for the rear windows the parking lights and the dash lights both come on the dome light does not and the dimmer switch turns the dome light on and off fine. but the lights on the switchs,dash lights and the parking lights wont go off no matter where the dimmer switch or headlight switch is set if the rear windows switch is in the on position. i guess i am going to check the headlight switch tomorro. any suggestion would be a great help. i cliped the wire that runs the little lights in the switches for the back windows right after the dirvers door and still have the same problem so i figure it is in the driver door or in the dash some where.
      also when i turn on the dash lights with the headlight switch the rear windows work without having the switch on the door on.

6. V8BoatBuilder

V8BoatBuilder Transplanted Bostonian

City, State:
      East Brunswick, NJ
      97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
      Glad to hear it's mostly fixed. Try replacing the dash dimmer next. Sounds like one heck of a short circuit.