97 5.0 awd no start issues in the mornings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 5.0 awd no start issues in the mornings

93 x

Reaction score
City, State
bothell washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
Hello my name is Gordon and I work in a shop in Seattle. recently we had a customer come in for a no start issue on his 97 5.0 awd. so what happens is ONLY on cold mornings it will not start and has no spark, but has injector pulse. we put a crank sensor in it because before it had no spark or injector pulse. the previous shop which is a dealership put a fuel pump and a computer into it. I had another 5.0 explorer in here so I swapped computers and it did the same thing. im pretty much at a loss here because it has injector pulse but no spark :scratch: im thinking I might put in a cam sensor and se what happens. I have no codes what so ever. any input would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well im still trying to figure it out but I guess its time to go home. ill keep you guys posted.

I'd check the crank sensor wiring over real well.

Try re seating the Square harness plug right over the intake manifold also.

I assume if a heater was blown into the engine bay the truck starts well? If so, maybe directing heat at certain areas would help troubleshoot this.

turdle its great to hear from you. the only issue with everything is that seattle is a pretty mild temp. so in the mornings its nice and chilly but once it hits 8-9 o'clock the truck starts every time. so I have to come in early just to diagnose it.i guess I could get some sorta heat in some places. thanks for the help I never thought to reset the main harness.

man this truck is driving me crazy! It was not starting then I had to get a phone call I came back and bam started right up. I wish I could be somewhere really cold and I could blow heat in places. I may just go pick up some air in a can and turn it upside down to blow cold air onto things. resetting the main harness did not help any and all those pins are good and clean.

Just a hunch--

Next cold morning, before anything else-cycle key on and off 4 times. Chek the Crank sensor voltage with just the key on.

on the 5th time turn the key all the way to start. ( wondering if it isn;t actually fuel leak down)

Does the oil pressure needle move while cranking?
Coolant level up?

The only sensors I can think of that would behave differently while cold are the MAF, ECT and IAT sensors.

OH!!!
The PCM relay--could be an intermittent connection in the socket. Try swapping the PCM relay with another one.

Back