Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

97 5R55E Shift Flare/Reverse Issues.

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by SysIntegr8tor, October 24, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. SysIntegr8tor

SysIntegr8tor New Member

City, State:
      Mesa, Az
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97_2x4dr4.0Pushrod
      Trans got hot and sprang a leak. I changed filter, gasket and put in dex/merc. (trans calls for Mercon V) Noticable sludge in magnet but no pieces. Fluid smelled bad.
      After 20 mi experienced 2-3 shift flare and no reverse. Once cold again trans operates normally. Truck is parked pending diagnosis and solution.
      Do I: Use ODB2 scanner
      - flush trans with Mercon V
      - re-do pan drop and add drain plug
      - add external screw-on filter and/or cooler
      Is it possible that I blew the 2-3 o-rings if the problem is limited to when trans is hot?
      How do I check for plugged vent tube?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmission section. It sounds like the valve body gasket blew when it overheated.