97 AWD 5.0 tranny question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 AWD 5.0 tranny question

stang99gtv8

Reaction score
I'm aquiring a 97 explorer 5.0 today for cheap, and I'm pretty sure it's going to need some transmission work. Currently, the car seems to be chattering some around 40mph, and also jumps from 1st to 2nd. It's my parents old car, and when they first got it the dealer programmed something in the ECU to keep it from jumping. When a drive shaft was replaced a few years ago, it went back to jumping again, and was never programmed after that.

Question is, does this sound like a transmission having problems issue or possibly something else?

If it is the transmission and I have to take it to a shop, should I attempt to get it rebuilt or just put a different one in? How much would replacing this trans cost?

Is this enough info to make any kind of assumptions?

Has 205k miles on the car, motor is still running strong, awd system works great, and all interior features are still good. I'd hate to just trash it as not woth it if the trans can be put back in solid working order for under $1500.

I thought about trying some instant shudder fixx to see if it makes any difference.

Try calling some of the local wrecking yards to see if anyone has a low mileage trans and get a price (and the terms of their warranty) then go to a trans shop to get their opinion. They can give you a guesstimate on a rebuild but also ask how much they would charge to install a used trans.

Sounds like it might be torque converter shudder and you probably have broken accumulator springs in the 1-2 accumulator assembly. When the springs break it makes the 1-2 shift harsh.

Back