97 AWD to 4x4 Conv.

CharlieMedic

Reaction score
City, State
Nampa, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ex XLT AWD ZAPV #113
Hi there.

I know there's tons and tons of thread regarding the swap but I'm just trying to narrow it down to what its needed to get it done, I mean bottom line. I could get a 4.0 4x4 and get it over with but I like my V8 5.0. I'm not a hardcore wheeler what I enjoy is remote mountain scenic trails or maybe a few canyons with a little rock trail to cross but that's about it.

What do I need to make the manual t-case swap?
Can I just go out and buy a first gen Ex. and swap it all of from there?
What are the mods that need to be made?
I have a 97 XLT 5.0 and a 00 EB 5.0 and even them too have differences. So again can I just get a 1st gen swap it and then just do minor adjust?

If anyone can answer those for me or point me the right direction because like I said I've gone through a lot of threads and still im not all clear of what I all need for this swap.

Would really like to make my Ex. trail worthy to meet up with some of you.

Thanx all.

Charlie.

Manual shift BW4406 from 1997-2003 F150, there are three part numbers that I know of and cannot find any appreciable difference between them other than possible speed sensor issues.

Shift linkage including stick from the same or similar truck as the same transfer case.

1997-200? Expedition/Navigator 4x4 rear driveshaft. Suspension set up makes no difference that I can tell. Must be from a 5.4 V8 equipped vehicle

1997-200? F150/Expedition front driveshaft (obviously from a 4x4) Must be from a 4.6 V8 equipped vehicle

Conversion U Joint Autozone P/N: 185793, PDQ/Brute Force #1-0134.

Shift boot of your preference

Tube of sealant

copied from this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap

any progress? all build threads are welcomed

Back