Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

97 explorer 4.0 oil leak by dipstick? (pics)

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by RandysSOHC, June 22, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. RandysSOHC

RandysSOHC New Member

City, State:
      Kentucky
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 ford explorer 4.0
      hello all, this is my girl's suv,
      yesterday she noticed some smoke coming from the hood, took it to a shop & they priced her at around 500$ for a fix..lol,
      I am excellent with a honda engine (can rebuild) , but I know nothing about her explorer,
      its a 97 ford explorer 4.0l I'm guessing is what the sticker says under the hood,
      anyways,
      here are some pics she took and sent them to me,
      can anyone identify what this is?
      because I believe I can fix it, just would be great to know what the problem was before I go check it out in person,
      looks to me like its a valve cover gasket leak or somthing, like its dripping on the exhaust manifold. but not sure,
      any input?
      (she also has a small transmission leak up front, which I'm guessing is somthing to do with the transmission cooler or a line).
      any help would be much appreciated! also is it able to drive to my house to get fixed which is 20 miles away? (probably depends on how bad it is though, figured I would start it and see how bad it leaks, but i dont wanna mess anything up with the tranny line leaking up front or somthing)
      thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ranger7ltr

ranger7ltr Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Great State of Texas
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1999 Sport
      Leak appears to be at the valve cover(s)...

The first pic shows a very wet with oil area at the valve cover holddown bolt and below the valve cover lip on the head and covering the dipstick tube...

Now to replace the valve cover gaskets obviously involves some disassembly of components in the way...Notably the upper intake manifold will need to be removed to get to the vavle covers as well as other items in the way...

When the valve covers are exposed it is a simple r&r clean up and properly torque bolts situation...

And while doing this you will need to replace the upper intake o-rings which are probably in need of replacement anyway...