97 Explorer 4.0 SOHC transfer case issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer 4.0 SOHC transfer case issues

jeff007

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus,OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4.0 SOHC, 99 5.0L XLT
My explorer started making a loud spinning noise whenever I let off the gas while going over 35mph yesterday. It started making the same noise today when I was trying to go in reverse. I have read other threads about this problem being caused by a bad transfer case but I was wondering If it could be something else besides having to rebuild mine or spend 900 on a rebuilt one. I have a 4405 F77A-GA transfer case, what is the difference between the CA and the GA besides the GA is about twice the cost and are they interchangable? Not sure where to go from here...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the only difference between the ca and the ga is the speed sensor... the ca lacks one because ford finnally got smart in 99 and made the ca 4405 w-out this sensor.. you problem souinds like the speed sensor which is located behind the rear flange hidden im in the same boat... my 97 4405 GA went out and i cant find another 4405GA reasonable priced so i got the 99 4405 CA

the FA model will be a direct swap also.. the ca isn't I finally found one for $100 at a local junk yard... all other want $450 for one...

I've got a '97 Explorer Sport 4WD, SOHC, Auto-Trans - and I have the same exact problem. I left the house this morning and it was fine. I drove on the highway for about 25 miles using cruise control - I pressed on the break and thats when I noticed the sound that everyone has described. So I pulled over, had my wife jump in the drivers seat while I looked underneith. I had her put it in Reverse and nothing but the 'winch-winder' sound. Had her put it in Drive and I watched the d-shaft engage.

So at this point, I have:
- no Reverse (only the winch-winding sound), and
- the einch-winding sound whenever Im cruising over 30mph and take my foot off the gas pedal.

Can you please keep this post going, I want to know for sure that its the xfer-case before I dump a bunch of money and more importantly waste tons of time swapping them out.
Thanks,
Steve

ok, I'm having similar problems with my 97 Eddie. It is stuck in 4H. I pulled the transfer case motor off and jumped it to the batterie and it was working fine. I plugged the wiring harness back in and left it unbolted from the transfer case. I went through the 4 wheel drive ranges using my switch on the dash and it wouldn't engage the tranfer case motor. Sounds like a switch problem, or a wire short or something of the sort. So, where would I start trouble shooting the switch and wiring? Oh yeah I checked the number 4 mini fuse under the hood and it is good and also the number 26 on the side of the dash. Also I'm looking for more info on the "brown wire mod". That sounds interesting. I really don't think it is internal transfer case problem since my switch seems to not be working. As you can tell this is my first post and I'm certanly not an expert. I've only owned my explorer for 7 mos. First one I've owned.

Diggman33 said:
I've got a '97 Explorer Sport 4WD, SOHC, Auto-Trans - and I have the same exact problem. I left the house this morning and it was fine. I drove on the highway for about 25 miles using cruise control - I pressed on the break and thats when I noticed the sound that everyone has described. So I pulled over, had my wife jump in the drivers seat while I looked underneith. I had her put it in Reverse and nothing but the 'winch-winder' sound. Had her put it in Drive and I watched the d-shaft engage.

So at this point, I have:
- no Reverse (only the winch-winding sound), and
- the einch-winding sound whenever Im cruising over 30mph and take my foot off the gas pedal.

Can you please keep this post going, I want to know for sure that its the xfer-case before I dump a bunch of money and more importantly waste tons of time swapping them out.
Thanks,
Steve

lock it in 4wd see if it will back up (mine would only back up in 4wd) mine was so bad when I dropped the rear d-shaft I could make the t-case slip with my hand this in 2 weeks after the first buzzing racketing sounds... I would first find the 2 sensores pull them out and clean them first mine had symptoms for a year till it finally went.... yours sound like a dirty sensor (hopefully) drain the t-case also remeber it takes MERCON 5 atf fluid in it..

Lots of noise!!!!! in my 97 EB front end

I've got problems with grinding noise coming from the front end or the trainsmission. It started about three years ago and now its pretty bad. It also makes a loud banging sound if I get done on it too hard. I'm thinking the front end gear box is the problem, but not too sure. I'm getting ready to sell it and with the noise, it probably won't go for what I need out of it. Are these boxes ready available in salvage yards? Also, it sounds worse when I make a turn left or right.
Is it worth fixing???

Back