97 explorer AWD manual TC conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer AWD manual TC conversion

john34683

Reaction score
City, State
Palm Harbor FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4x4
I have a 97 explorer with the 4.0 automatic in it. It is the AWD version with the BW 4405 tc. The Transfer case is making a whining noise on decel so i figure it is on its way out. I couldnt find another one at the junkyard today so I was looking into doing the manual TC conversion.

From what I gather I will need the 1354 and shifter (as well as front drive shaft from 95-96 explorer).

My question is AM I missing anything else that i will need? Also where does the manual lever come up through the floor? I have been trying to find pics to see if anyone else has done it and what i might run into but cant seem to find anything. Thanks in advance for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im assuming its AWD, the switch has 3 modes AUTO, 4H, 4L

That's not AWD, it's automatic 4wd. Only the 5.0 V8 had AWD, and it was a purely mechanical full time awd system. It always puts power to the front and rear axle.

Yours is a 4wd TC with an electronic clutch in it for the front axle. In auto mode it's operating as rear wheel drive, when it senses the rear axle losing traction, the clutch engages the front axle. When in 4hi or 4lo it keeps the front axle engaged.

oh ok, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Welcome to the forum!

Whining on deceleration could also be the rear differential. If the pinion gear has managed to get slack in it from a bad crush sleeve, worn seal, etc...

Look at the rear diff for any leaking fluids on it. Look for splatter marks on the side of the fuel tank, wetness on the underside of the diff, leakage on the drive shaft flange.

Not saying your T-case is good/bad, just something else to look at.

I installed a electric 1354 TC into my explorer and the whining on decel went away. MUCH nicer now. Now I just have to figure out how i want to set up the linkage to convert it to manual TC.

I put a manual TC into my 1991 Explorer. I pulled the TC from a JY and got all the linkage at the same time. It all bolted up fine. I also took the plate from the floor that the lever passed through.

John, I believe you said that you replaced the old TC with another electric TC, if so you can't convert the electric shift TC to manual except with a sepecial after market shift control. To go to a manual shift TC you have to put a manual TC in your explorer.

Back