Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

97 Explorer Eddie Bauer AC Clutch not engaged

Discussion in 'A/C & Heater systems - HVAC' started by noremarks, July 11, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. noremarks

noremarks New Member

City, State:
    Elma WA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer
    Have a electronic climate control. Relay on the firewall tested good and is engaged. both of the pressure switches have continuity all fuses are good. Can any one give me some direction? please I am heading off on a trip and little money. thanks:exp:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ErnieX

ErnieX Member

City, State:
    Melrose, FL
    96 XLT
    Check the gap at the clutch plate - shouldn't be more than a business card thickness - tap it with the A/C running and see if it engages.

Just a thought

4. noremarks

noremarks New Member

City, State:
    Elma WA
    1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer
    Well the clutch doesn't engage at all. no 12v to the clutch or ether pressure switch. but the relay is on on the fire wall. I will try to tap it just because I have no other thoughts.
    Thanks ernieX. It seems like the Electronic Climate Control is not sending 12 v to the sensors , but then why would the relay on the firewall be engaged? by the way if it helps I have a 4.0