• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer hardwire 4x4

danp68

Reaction score
City, State
zanesville ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ford explorer
i know im a noob on here,and i have looked through numerous threads,but i cant quite find the answer im lookin for,what i want to do is see if i can hook a toggle switch up to engage 4x4 100%. im not worried about the "high" or "low" range,im goin to set up a linkage or cable for that,or just leave it in high (my tranfer case,behind motor, does not have 2wd option,just "high" "nuetral" and "low") im just curious if i can jump a wire for the clutch in transfer case so 4x4 engages,none of my controls seem to work,and the dash light MIGHT come on if i leave switch on "4 high" for couple days,only thing ive accomplished by messing with controls is kicked my tcase into nuetral lol,so yeah my motor has been taken off and manually put into high range-any advise in the right direction would be greatly appreciated,its not fun to play around in it with 4x4 sometimes,seems to have 4x4 when it wants,drives like it and climbs hills,but wont spin front tires on gravel or mud-thanks again!

hopefully someone can share a little info,or tell me what wires control the clutch for 4x4 ;)

Back