Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

97 Explorer Lowering

Discussion in 'Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits' started by teknics, October 10, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. teknics

teknics New Member

City, State:
      wayne, nj
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 Explorer LXI
      Ok I may be a little off with the info on this truck as it isn't mine it's a chick's truck who i'm rather good friends with and this is all the info i got:

1997 Explorer LXI

Anyway back to the point, she's gonna have me lower the truck. I took a quick look at the suspension and found it's just like my truck, 99 durango, with torsion bars and leafs in the back so it's like a 30 minute job to do.

However I have one question, what's the lowest I can drop the front of the truck using the torsion bars, on my truck i dropped it 3" and still have like half a bolt left but I'm not sure how long her bolt is on the torsion bar.

Basically she wants the truck as low as possible so I'll simply match the rear blocks to however low I can drop the front.

Thanks in advance for any and all information!

Kevin "Teknics" Kowal.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

If 4wd, 2" is about all you can do without stressing the cv joints too bad. If 2wd, you can go REAL low.

And WELCOME!

Robb

4. teknics

teknics New Member

City, State:
      wayne, nj
      1997 Explorer LXI
      yea

I'm about 95% sure it's 2wd, I've driven it once and don't recall seeing anything for shifting into 4wd.

so assuming it is a 2wd model i could put 3" blocks in the rear and level the front without requiring new torsion bar bolts? if so that would be exactly what i'm looking for!

such speedy responses, thank you!
      kevin "teknics" kowal

5. expo5.0

expo5.0 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Red Wing, MN
      1996 xlt
      good luck man! its always fun working on girls trucks!

6. teknics

teknics New Member

City, State:
      wayne, nj
      1997 Explorer LXI
      one more thing...

Also one more thing I need to know, what is the rear axle tube diameter? I have a set of 3"x10" u-bolts from my durango kit (i need 3.5"x10" for the durango so the 3" ones were useless) and I was hoping that the explorer's axle tube diameter is also 3", but i believe I read somewhere that it's 3.25".

Any info on that for me?

Kevin "teknics" Kowal