Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

97 Explorer Oxygen Sensor Replacement---HOW TO??

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by drichardson, June 21, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. drichardson

drichardson New Member

City, State:
      san diego
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '97 Eddie Bauer 4L V6 2WD
      hey guys. i just took my explorer in because of a check engine light and they said i need to replace 4 O2 sensors and said it would cost me $150 each to replace. I can't pay this and wanna try to replace them myself, anyone know where i can find a guide to replace them?????

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Turdle

Turdle Has Pleasure Chamber Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Go back to step one and have the codes re read. Some parts stores like autozone will read codes free of charge.

Don't let them sell you anything though. Just write the codes down as they are displayed.
      they will be displayed as a P followed by 4 digits. It is important to get all of them written down. Once you do this post them up here and we'll help figger it all out with you.

I am almost certain the price quote you were given was a generic estimate, as all 4 sensors rarely fail at once-in fact 02 sensors rarely "fail" , rather they are doing their job well by reporting a condition which will lead you to the proper repair.

4. 92muddyXJ

92muddyXJ New Member

City, State:
      Indianapolis
      97 Sport 4x4
      What Turdle said.

I would also suggest going and having the codes read for free at an auto parts store and do some research on here, I havn't been here long but this place is awesome:D

I have the check engine light on and mine is throwing four codes, some for the catalyst and some that say it's running too lean. The guy said that all four of those codes could be because of a bad catalytic....I can't afford one or two right now so I'm just going to let it go for now as well as get my codes read at another store just to make sure the codes are the same.

5. drichardson

drichardson New Member

City, State:
      san diego
      the codes are: P0135, P0144, P0155.

The mechanic that diagnosed my truck stated " Need to replace 4 O2 sensor ($155 x4), New spark plug wire sets ($175), Need to repair wire burn behind engine & fuse burn ($145). The total for all of this would amount to $940, I don't have that much to spend on repair right now, I just spent $1200 repairing it 2 months ago... Just trying to get the check engine light off so I can sell it and wash my hands of this mess

6. drichardson

drichardson New Member

City, State:
      san diego
      also, what O2 sensors would you recommend i buy???? I know some are better than others but i have never personally worked with O2 sensors...

7. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      I bet the 02 sensor harness got into the exhaust and is the cause for all of the issues. I doubt you need 4 new sensors. They all run off the same power circuit. There are several places to look, along the exhaust on passenger side-sometimes the bank 2 - 02 sensor wire will rub on the front drive shaft and or the exhaust down tube -and the egr sensor area also has some connections which might be exposed to heat.

Disconnect the battery, and start digging into the wiring. You will probably be able to fix and shorted wires by a splice and shrink tube repair.

Then take a look at the spark wires, Orielly has them for around 90.00 or so for a good set of motorcraft wires.

I would look for motorcraft 02 sensors if you do need to replace them

8. drichardson

drichardson New Member

City, State:
      san diego
      okay thanks for the advice. also, if i do need to replace the sensors, is this a repair that is very difficult? Where can i find a guide to help me on replacing them?

9. kindred4x

kindred4x Active Member

1996 sport
      I agree with turdle. I have only once in my life seen all four 02 sensors throw codes. And that was because there was damage to the wires and the main fuse for the sensors was blown.

10. kindred4x

kindred4x Active Member

1996 sport
      I would check to see if you have any voltage at the sensors

Last edited: June 22, 2011
    11. drichardson

drichardson New Member

City, State:
      san diego
      okay that sounds like a good place to start. also where do the O2 sensor wires lead to?? i tried to see where they are located under the hood but had no luck.

12. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      sensor wiring

Here's the O2 sensor wiring for my 2000 Sport. It may help you sort things out.

HO2S #11 (Bank 1 Pre-cat)
      Gray/Light Blue (O2 voltage to PCM)
      Orange (sensor return common)
      Red/White (Heater output to PCM)
      Light Blue/Orange (heater supply)

HO2S #21 (Bank 2 Pre-cat)
      Red/Black (O2 voltage to PCM)
      Yellow/Light Blue (Heater output to PCM)

HO2S #12 (Bank 1 Post-cat)
      Red/Light Green (O2 voltage to PCM)
      White/Black (Heater output to PCM)

HO2S #22 (Bank 2 Post-cat)
      Purple/Light Green (O2 voltage to PCM)
      Tan/Yellow (Heater output to PCM)

13. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Back in 5 minutes Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      Modified 95 XLT
      You have to climb up under the hood and look behind the engine on top of trans area for the connectors. Removing the tires & wheel well liners will make it easier to reach them from the sides of the vehicle. If your spry enough to reach them from under the vehicle, that is the easiest route. Tight spaces tho!

Drivers side connectors are on the trans harness, and the pass side is on the engine harness but both lead to the top of the trans behind the engine. Plan on getting frustrated, and take mental breaks, as this is not complicated, just hard to reach the connectors. Oh...The connectors are the pinch and pull style, with only one push tab.

14. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      there is an access panel under the center console which you can remove for easier access to the plugs.

15. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Back in 5 minutes Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      Modified 95 XLT
      Snap! I forgot about that location! :D

16. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
    17. drichardson

drichardson New Member

City, State:
      san diego
      when the console is removed, does it allow to to access the front two O2 sensors as well or just the rear two? i was taking a look and it appeared that the front 2 sensor wires led up right behind the engine, the part where you unclip them is way up there. looks pretty impossible to access if i need to replace them. it doesn't look like it will be much easier to get to if the console is removed, but i could be and hope that i am wrong.

18. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      there is a picture in the console removal thread showing 3- 02 sensor connectors under the console. However, the driver side ( bank 2 sensor 1) plug is behind the engine

THis is the one BTW which can get into the exhaust and drive shaft-the sensor itself is right under the bell housing.

19. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
      This is on my 2000, if it helps...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. drichardson

drichardson New Member

City, State:
      san diego
      thanks for the pics. i dont have trouble getting to the sensors themselves, just the clips on the two front sensors. I can see where the plugs are but they're just too high and tight to get to from underneath the truck and I can't find them/get to them from the hood. any techniques or ways to get to the clips to unclip them??

21. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      LIke I said, remove the console. It is a lot easier thn it sounds.

-look in the console removal thread I posted and you will see I stated this is the only way I can get to them. Others may have an idea but for me it was too tight for my arm from underneath.

22. 1998rollover

1998rollover Active Member

City, State:
      Weiser, ID
      1998 Mountaineer
      When my 98 was doing a code for Bank 1 cat efficiency below spec, I just said *bleep* it and got four Bosch sensors from NAPA.

My original plan was to swap the pairs of sensors side to side and see if the code changed banks, then swap either the upstream or downstream ones to see if the code changed again. Depending on results, I'd then know which was the bad sensor.

After getting the console out, my plan quickly altered! It took a chunk of 2x4, a 4 pound sledgehammer and another person in the back seat pulling on the console to get it loose! The only way that thing could've been installed was by a robot with a powerful push. I bent the clips some to loosen them up enough for a mere human to be able to reinstall.

There's also the problem of the one left bank sensor (the only one with the connector not on top of the transmission) having a shorter wire, which makes it impossible to install in any of the other three locations.

So yeah, it's worth the savings in time and frustration, plus the truck running better, to just "shotgun" the thing with a full set of new sensors. Shop around, especially online, and you should be able to find a better price.

Also check your sparkplugs. My 98 still had its original set of Motorcraft plugs! The one I measure was burned out to 90 thousandths, the rest looked just as bad. I've no idea how the thing was able to run, didn't run *bad* but did run better with new plugs.

Curiously, neither the new plugs nor new O2 sensors seems to have helped the MPG any, it just runs smoother. I'd think the O2 sensors would have to help MPG because with the code it had the computer would be constantly tweaking the fuel mix up and down more than normal, trying to get the downstream O2 reading in correct range.

23. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
      +6 on the Motorcraft sensors. The "universal" types like Bosch seem to have issues after a bit, whereas the application specific sensors like the Motorcrafts do better over the long haul.

24. drichardson

drichardson New Member

City, State:
      san diego
      hey fellas. i just picked up some new sensors but it doesn't say which sensor is which. I have the part numbers but can't find any details as to which sensor they are (upstream/downstream...). heres the part numbers:

Bosch: 15716, 15717, 15719, 15718

any ideas where i can find out more about these sensors so i can know where to install them? thanks

25. 1998rollover

1998rollover Active Member

City, State:
      Weiser, ID
      1998 Mountaineer
      On the Bosch ones I got, the part numbers were for different wire lengths. The originals have keyed connectors. The Bosch ones have connectors that fit any of the four connectors on the wiring harness.

No difference between the sensors themselves. Do one at a time to ensure you don't cross up any of the three on top of the transmission.

26. drichardson

drichardson New Member

City, State:
      san diego
      if they are interchangeable then why do some of the sensors cost more than the others?