97 Explorer radio loses passenger side sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer radio loses passenger side sound

russosborne

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Subaru Forester
I have a feeling it is a loose connection somewhere, but I am having an intermittent problem with the radio losing the passenger side stereo channel. Sometimes happens when going over a bump, turning steering wheel, even just driving along straight and no bumps. It even did it once when I was closing the driver's window (power).

the radio is just the am/fm/cassette.

Just wanted to check to see if there was some known issue before I start tearing into stuff.

Thanks,
Russ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know...I thought I was crazy, but I think I have the same problem. I even pulled the radio, and re-seated the connections to the back. I still think I have this issue. (I say think, cause Im not sure if it's the song being played in stereo or not)

I am definitely losing the one channel. It just drops out completely. I am going to have to take it apart sooner or later I suppose. Trying to wait until I am ready to do some other stuff that needs the dash opened up. Maybe I should just listen to AM radio. :)
Russ

If you have rear controls, try working them and tapping on the rear of the console. I had some similar problems with my 98, then the radio just quit. It was a short in the rear controls causing the problems. I just by-passed them and wired directly from the head unit to the speakers.

Thanks. don't have a clue if I have rear controls or not, but will take a look.
Russ

Back