1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

97 Explorer V8 - Hard Shifting from 1st to 2nd

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by 97Explorer5.0, December 6, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 97Explorer5.0

97Explorer5.0 New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, GA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 Explorer EB
      I have a 1997 Ford Explorer V8 with 96,000 miles. I hate to admit this, but the transmission fluid has never been changed. Lately, the transmission has had intermittent issues shifting from 1st to 2nd gear (all the other gears function fine). During acceleration from a stopped position, it revs high in 1st gear, then I let off the pedal at high RPM's and the vehicles shifts into second with a noticable jolt to the occupants. This will occur several times during a trip, then the condition will disappear for several days and re-occur at a later date. Most of the time this condition occurs after a long trip (1hr), but not always. Any diagnosis or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. explorerguy27

explorerguy27 New Member

City, State:
      Canby, OR.
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 V8 XLT