'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild" | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild"

'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild" FINALLY DONE!

EDIT: Adding the details to the first post now that the project is finished.

OK, I finally got tired of trying to figure out this stupid 21" neon high-mount brake light problem, and in the process ended up with two lamp assemblies. So, after searching for the best fix, I finally decided to gut one of the assemblies, and build by own LED array to put inside it. Here is what I did ....

• After removing the assembly from the truck, and the lamp from the assembly, I baked the lamp in the oven at about 200-250 for 15-20 minutes, or just long enough to be able to "peal" off the lens. After doing that, removing the neon lamp, and cleaning it up, here is what I had.
DSCN3595.jpg

• Here is the assembly after being baked, and cleaned up, and the neon lamp removed, with some measurements shown:
explorer_third_brake_lamp.jpg

• Next, I had to find some LEDs. I finally found some that would work and purchased them from Super Bright LEDs:
  • I ended up settling on the 8 candella RED (RL5-R8030), but after seeing it all done, I'd probably go with the 12 candella if I did it again (RL5-R12008), as they are brighter, and have a sharper viewing angle. You can always tone down the brightness if it is too bright, and although I could brighten mine up a bit, it would mean less protection for the LEDs.
  • Next I found a piece of breadboard to mount the LEDs to. You can probably find something at Radio Shack, but you might have to make a two piece array, depending on the size you get, and how long you actually want your array to be. Notice in the image above that the assembly is about 3/4" tall, but since the back of the housing is curved, the array needs to be thinner than that so that it can fit comfortably down inside, so the lens does not hit the LEDs.
  • I cut the breadboard so that it would fit inside the housing. When doing this, measure carefully so that the breadboard will fit down inside the housing, otherwise the LEDs will touch the lens and you'll have trouble putting it back together. Learn from me - I had to do a lot of fine tuning to get everything assembled.
  • After determining how many LEDs I wanted, and how far apart they should be, I placed the leads through the breadboard and glued them in place. Be sure they are pushed down all the way, and are flat, or your LEDs won't line up perfectly, which is easy to see with these small viewing angle LEDs.
  • Next, I soldered the LEDs and resistors to make the arrays. I have 3 arrays of 5 LEDs each. You can use this link to help determine the resistor size needed for each array:
  • Here is the LED array in progress. This was the dry run, before cutting the breadboard and glueing the LEDs.
DSCN3938.jpg

• After cutting, glueing, soldering, and wiring up the array, I was ready for the fine tuning, and fitting into the housing. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of that, but you get the idea.
  • I searched high and low for just the right glue to use, but in the end I just used hot glue on the array, and clear RTV to glue the array into the housing, seal any extra holes (I brought both wires out a single hole), and glue the lens back on. I also used electrical tape to hold stuff together while it was drying. I did it in stages and let everything fully dry before I put the lens back on.
  • Here is a BAD picture of the array finished, and everything dry fit.
DSCN4183.jpg

• And finally, with everything glued and dry, I took the plug off the old ballast and used that on the new LED array. Make sure you feed the wires through the hole in the tailgate before placing the plug on the wires (I had to go back and cut mine off again :rolleyes: )
  • After reinstalling on my truck, here is what it looks like.
DSCN4356.jpg

I hope this helps. Let me know if there are any questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since my HMSL assebly wouldn't fit in my oven to heat to 250( need a very big oven) Im did mine the old fashon way I dragged out the Dremel and cut the back off, then just pulled the broken neon piece loose. Just need to get my replacement lights. Just remember to keep the piece you cut out to put back.

Tim

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ummm, you DID remove the lamp housing from the aluminum trim piece first, didn't you?! The lamp housing easily fits inside a standard oven. Not that it helps you now that you gutted it.

Quick update to an OLD thread. I'm still doing the "rebuild", obviously kinda slow. Spent some time in the garage tonight cutting and soldering. The 15 LED array is completed. Now I have to make some minor adjustments to the board so that it sits down inside the housing a bit more (dremel time), then glue it all together, and it's done! I'll post pictures soon, for anyone who still cares.

Any idea what the best stuff is to glue the housing back together? RTV? Not sure where I can get some of that heat-sensitive epoxy (or whatever) that was on there before. I'd hate to do all of this work and not get a good seal on it!

sweet cant wait to see it. i would probably seal it with 2 part epoxy and or silicon. wait, scratch the silicon

I didn't have time last night to take the dremel to the circuit board, but hopefully tonight. Then I'll get the board mounted inside the housing, and at least get he cover on to snap some photos. I'm gonna look around for the best stuff to seal it with. Was thinking some RTV, but am also going to look for a heavy duty glue, so I can still bake it if I ever have to take it apart. An epoxy will probably be permanent, so I don't want that. If it does leak, then I gotta be able to take it apart.

I really like the Marine Silicone seal/adhesive. Although I dont know how it would be if you had to take it apart again.
Not that this applys to you rizzjc Joe but it remindes me of a saying an old guy used to tell me. "I havent got the time to do it right but, I've got time to do it again."

Bill Kemp said:
I really like the Marine Silicone seal/adhesive. Although I dont know how it would be if you had to take it apart again.
Not that this applys to you rizzjc Joe but it remindes me of a saying an old guy used to tell me. "I havent got the time to do it right but, I've got time to do it again."

I'd say that applies, but I will still try to do it right, so I don't HAVE TO do it again. :D Here are some photos. Tried to take a new closeup that is actually in focus (not sure what is going on with my camera), but then my flash card died. :rolleyes:

Ignore the electrical tape. Still a little more to take off the circuit board so that the LEDs are lower inside the housing. I want to make sure they don't touch the lens so that I am sure to get a perfect fit when I glue it together.

Close-up
DSCN4183.jpg

Close with lights out
DSCN4184.jpg

From a distance with lights out
DSCN4186.jpg

From a distance with flash
DSCN4187.jpg

Looking Gooooood!!!!!

awesome! will look good on your ex

I just need some good ideas on the glue! I haven't decided what will work best. Does anybody know what the stuff is that WAS on it (same stuff they use for headlight assemblies - you bake it to pull it apart)? If I can find some of that, I'll probably use it. Otherwise it seems that clear RTV is looking like my best available option. A friend mentioned hot glue, something other than the hobby stuff. Thought I could put it on, bak it to make sure it is all soft, and then slap on the lens.

I was also thinking about hitting the trim piece that the assembly snaps into with some black paint before putting it all back together, but then it would look new, compared to all of the other faded black on the truck. ;-)

man u better post every single pic u got cuz im gonna do the same thing! looks great!

Will do when it is done. I hope to get it done tomorrow if I find some good glue.

There is a "hot glue gun" that sounds like something that may work. But, ????

I have one, which I used for glueing the LEDs and wires down, but it's more of a "hobby" grade. Need to look for something better than that, I think.

I had good intentions of getting this done Friday or Saturday, but I've been sick since then. Maybe while I'm playing sick tomorrow I'll just go get some clear silicon and finish this once and for all.

i still dont know how to remove the damn light off the truck so i can start working on it.....

looking great.....what has been in the back of the tail gate for the past year?.....in place of the third brake light. a hole?...or does the red lens stay in place?

That's way more spiffy than mine - rock on!

FexplorerV8 said:
i still dont know how to remove the damn light off the truck so i can start working on it.....

Easy! (Sorta). Drill out about 5 rivets at the bottom (I think you get to them with the glass open. Then remove two "snap nuts" from either end, which you access with the gate open. Then full the rubber plugs to access 3 nuts that are behind the lamp itself. Of course, to get in there you gotta pull back the plastic trim inside the gate, along the top.

Back