1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

97 JBL ground issue

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by 97MarkVIII, October 18, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 97MarkVIII

97MarkVIII New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 Mercury Mountaineer
      I swapped out the sub enclosure for the 8" 98-01 enclosure and had to relocate the amps.Had the stereo on but it was just static,forgot to plug in the antenna.So I went to plug it in and there was sparks and from then on the display would dim with the bass or the sound would cut off then come back after a few seconds.Well it's been like this for a couple of years.Today with the stereo on I unplugged the antenna and the stereo went dead,touch it to the amp and it comes back on.So I check the three grounds and nothing,so the only ground was through the antenna.I unscrew the grounds and check,now there's continuity and at the amp casing too.Screw the grounds on and nothing no continuity. Ok so I run a wire from the grounds with the antenna unplugged to the body and I get power again.Test the stereo and now it's working like it should,display isn't dimming or the sound cutting off.Anyone have any idea what might of happened when the antenna plug sparked and caused it to lose ground?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.