'97 Mercury Mountaineer. Shift at high RPMs. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 Mercury Mountaineer. Shift at high RPMs.

Nitases

Reaction score
City, State
Seguin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 mountaineer
I have a '97 Mercury Mountaineer 2WD. It runs great esp. when cool or cold. However, when it warms up I have to get the RPMs up to 2500 and let off on the throttle before it will shift into all gears. There is intermittent times when it will shift fine when warm but I can't figure it out. It did get progressively worse about it running fine before warm up...that is it took less time before malfunction over time. I've checked TPS, fluid/filter, VSS and the voltages required for them. It doesn't slip, it just doesn't shift unless I throttle back. Does anyone know why. Damn online mechanics don't know diddly squat. I've told them same info. I even tried CARTALK but they don't answer. Probably because they don't know either.:feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

engine & transmission?

Which engine and transmission are in your vehicle?

You may have low line pressure which is more apparent when the ATF is warm. If you have a 5R55E you could have a blown out valve body separator plate gasket or a worn EPC solenoid.

I think 97 Mountaineer only had 5.0L engine. I believe you have internal seal or piston concern that gives you those symptoms. Also double ck the fluid level.

LB Did that when I first bought her. She was a little low on fluid, i topped her off and have had trouble free motoring since. I second the fluid comment.

Back