Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

97 model engine into a 95 explorer

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by robert_copeland, August 5, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. robert_copeland

robert_copeland New Member

City, State:
    joelton,tennessee
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    95 ford explorer xlt
    ok guys this is my first post here so i just want to say hello to all of you and i hope someone here can help me out.i bought a 97 model 4.0 ohv crate motor to go in my 95 explorer. for the deal i got on it i couldnt afford not too. i figured out the rest of the stuff on my own with the wiring cam sychronizer etc. i had to go out and buy a new flywheel and bolts.i was going to drop it in yesterday after mounting the flywheel ,clutch, pressure plate but something told me to try to trun the motor over. it was jammed up because the flywheel is rubbing the motor. i have been reading up on a flywheel spacer or shims. i dont know which one myself. does this motor need this spacer or the shims? the 95 motor didnt have anything like that. im confused as to what to do. this is the first time i have ever had this kind of problem. what would be the ford part numbers on them? would there be a specific thickness with this flywheel spacer or shim? thanks in advance. i went to the dealer a few days ago and the only thing they showed is that flywheel spacer with the auto tranny flywheel. mine is a 5 speed. he didnt show one there. im confused. helllllllllllllllp meeeeeeeeeeeeeee. pleeeeeeease.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.