97 powerstroke problems. HELP PLEASE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 powerstroke problems. HELP PLEASE

TheRookie

Traveling SAS guru
Reaction score
City, State
West Chester PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
OK I am getting desperate. Been trying to figure out a runnability issue on this for weeks. its a 97 e450 chassis with a 7.3 turbo diesel obviously. Here is what I have.
Intermitently the truck will lose power and often eventualy stall. When this happens I have black exhaust smoke. This most often happens when the truck has been driven some one day then driven again a little later. I have a gaggle of codes so here we go. p1395, glow plug bank 1, p1209 (ICP &IPR) p0603 (cam) p1211 (ICP) p1397 (voltage low) p0344 (cam) I only hope someone has an idea where to start. I am really stuck and its driving me insane.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try posting over on thedieselstop.com Sounds to me like you have some dead injectors, and maybe possibly your injection pump?

Dane

Just a guess, but it sounds like the pump is about to go.

My shop teacher said to start with the lowest #'d code.. fix that, and maybe it'll keep the other codes from showing.

Shane

Pretty sure the late 90's IH Powerstroke Motors (yours) have had a history of fuel injector/pump problems ~ this is one reason Ford is dropping their contract with IH for the new 4.0L diesel they're developing for the F-150

Back