Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

97 Ranger, no reverse & stiff reverse modulation valve

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by KitfoxMike, July 25, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. KitfoxMike

KitfoxMike New Member

City, State:
      Fredericksburg, VA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 Ranger 4.0
      Apparently I overloaded my 97 ranger with 4.0L OHV and the transmission decided to quit working a few weeks later. The first symptom was no reverse when I was on a trip to the dump, then problems shifting with the 2-3 flare on the way home from the dump. Like a fool, I pulled the transmission before reading the codes. The overdrive clutches were fried to a crisp. After finding this and replacing the clutches and steel, I completely forgot about not having reverse. Of course when I installed the transmission, I still had no reverse. Pulled it out again and checked the low/reverse servo piston and bore but found everything working properly and the bore was as clean as when new. When I went to pull the reverse modulation valve, it was extremely difficult to pull out. I replace the seals on the modulation valve thinking they had gone bad and were swollen from the fluid. The new d rings caused the valve to be just as stiff as the old ones I pulled out. The reverse band gives good push back to the screwdriver but if the valve does not slide in the bore, it would not give me reverse. Any ideas?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.