Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

97 Ranger Won't go into 4x4, manual hubs

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by AmyWarhol, November 23, 2008.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. AmyWarhol

AmyWarhol New Member

City, State:
    Ithaca, NY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 Ranger Super Cab XLT
    Hello. I have a 97 Ranger super cab XLT that will not go into four wheel drive. I have already converted the auto hubs to Warn manuals, they have always worked fine. The problem is that when I turn the switch on the dash the four wheel drive indicator lights on the instrument panel do not come on. However, when I start the truck, the lights do come on briefly as they are supposed to. AND the switch itself does light up when the headlights are on, but it just doesn't seem to work to turn the 4x4 on. Is there a relay or something I should check before replacing the switch? What fuse number? Is there a way to test the switch to see if that is the problem?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
    sounds like the shift motor took a dive, and isn't shifting the t-case into 4wd anymore.

although I'm not sure of any ways to test it since I've never dealt with one :dunno:

might just try doing a search for shift motor