97 SOHC 4x2 Auto won't stay running | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 SOHC 4x2 Auto won't stay running

black91EB

Reaction score
City, State
Millington, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 5spd 4wd
This is my mom's DD, it is a 1997 4 Door XLT 4x2 auto with the 4.0 SOHC. Day before yesterday it suddenly started running very badly and will not stay running at idle. At 1000rpm or higher, it runs well, but below that it sputters and dies.

Checked DTCs and found a P0153 O2 sensor code, bank 1 sensor 1, replaced sensor with no change. Only other code was I think either P0171 or P0174, not sure which, something about the EGR system. (I wasn't actually there, so not sure) It has had the EGR code since we got it, with the subsequent CEL, but it has not effected it in the year+ that it has been that way.

Tried a throttle position sensor with no change either. Where should I look next? Was thinking mass air cleaning, will do anyway, but does anyone know of any particular issue that would cause the truck to run like this?

Sorry if its something common I didn't find this searching, but I got tired of wading through all the single post user's "my truck won't run" threads that had no information

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry for the short reply, but I just got off work, and bedtime is quickly approaching. If you have no engine codes that result in a fix... Check idle fuel pressure. If that is normal, i would be very suspicious of your coil packs. TPS could also be a culprit. Remember, start with the cheapest fix/test first and work your way up from there.

One question though, during your current idle, are the rpms within normal range? Or does the engine surge to stay running?

Sorry for the short reply, but I just got off work, and bedtime is quickly approaching. If you have no engine codes that result in a fix... Check idle fuel pressure. If that is normal, i would be very suspicious of your coil packs. TPS could also be a culprit. Remember, start with the cheapest fix/test first and work your way up from there.

One question though, during your current idle, are the rpms within normal range? Or does the engine surge to stay running?

It doesn't really surge, sputter is more like it. Checked the fuel pressure, I believe it is within spec at 35 PSI. If the coil packs were bad, would it throw a missfire code?

problem solved, was either a dirty IAC or mass air sensor, both were cleaned and truck runs fine now. Thanks for the help, and if a moderator could delete this thread, it would free up some clutter.

You might also want to check out the MAF sensor, if it is bad it won't stay running at idle,

Back