1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

97 xlt 6disc console changer issue

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by djembeing, July 1, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. djembeing

djembeing New Member

City, State:
    Ashland KY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    99 Ranger Sport, 97 EX
    I was wondering if anyone would have an idea of what's going on here.
    I can listen to any CD in the 6 disc changer and sometimes it will kinda fade to fuzzy static, then switch to the radio. Then, I'll press the CD button and the display says " NO CD". I can eject the cartridge and put it back in and it will work again.
    Sometimes, it will konk out within a few minutes or seconds, sometimes it will last a few days.
    I'm pretty good with fixing stuff, so if someone can give a little insight I (and my wife) would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you
    Dave

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. rxdevil

rxdevil New Member

City, State:
    Edmonton, Alberta
    1996 XL
    Steps to "fixing" this issue.
    #1- Get hammer
    #2- Slam hammer against changer
    #3-24 Repeat step #2
    #25- Replace changer with a USB capable component.
    #26- Enjoy

Sorry for the antagonistic approach. Really, I haven't the foggiest idea on this on, but sounds to me like it would be easier simply to replace with a new unit.

4. djembeing

djembeing New Member

City, State:
    Ashland KY
    99 Ranger Sport, 97 EX
    best answer

best answer so far. How does that type of stuff hook into the existing audio system? I would like to keep the radio/tape and be able to use those controls. But USB all the way

5. 92muddyXJ

92muddyXJ New Member

City, State:
    Indianapolis
    97 Sport 4x4
    I have the same problem with my '97 Sport, I was just looking in this forum to get ideas about replacing the whole stereo all together because I don't care for all the problems and I would really like to use my have a stereo where I can charge and control my Ipod through the radio.

Mine 6 disc changer really acts up when it's hot out and have to eject the magazine over and over again. I am almost to the 'get the hammer' approach....almost....