• Register Today It's free!

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Washington, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer SOHC 4.0L
Callsign
Suuuu Woooop
ok so i recently posted how I purchased a 98 explorer eddie bauer for $580. only to find out that it needed a transfer case, front dif and a freeze plug. Amongst other minor things like brakes and rotors. So I found a mechanic to do all the work for about $600 if I purchase the parts. The engine and trans are in great shape. I got the transfer case for $200 (80,000 alleged miles on it) and the front diff for $180. No mileage recorded. My question is, would you do it? I am a maintenance engineer at a garden style apartment complex, and the reason for the purchase was the ability to drive in the snow with no problem. What would you do, if you were me??

By now you know about the timing chain risk, if you are sure there is no noise(maybe have someone verify it) maybe take the risk. I've heard of people putting additives that mask noises before they sell a truck, maybe change the oil and listen carefully at cold startup.

I would consider a very high quality synthetic oil for that truck, considering its issues. Any car at that price point is a risk, just some more than others. If you bought an Subaru you would be risking head gaskets. There are people here with quite high miles SOHCs.

By now you know about the timing chain risk, if you are sure there is no noise(maybe have someone verify it) maybe take the risk. I've heard of people putting additives that mask noises before they sell a truck, maybe change the oil and listen carefully at cold startup.

I would consider a very high quality synthetic oil for that truck, considering its issues. Any car at that price point is a risk, just some more than others. If you bought an Subaru you would be risking head gaskets. There are people here with quite high miles SOHCs.

well i got her at an auction. and i am very aware of the chain issue. when i did drive the truck, i didnt notice anything other than what i stated.. but again, i am a total novice when it comes to cars. lol can you be specific as to what to look/listen/smell/see?

Back