Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

98 explorer 373 limited slip rear end rebuild info

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by solorider, December 10, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. solorider

solorider New Member

City, State:
    Sebree, ky
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 ford explorer
    The clutches in my rear end are bad! I need info on how to replace them. A point to purchase a manual on how to do this, would be greatly appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Texan01

Texan01 Active Member

City, State:
    Dallas, TX
    1995 Explorer XLT
    Best bet, which is what I used, was a Mustang video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GsLDg3C6Hc&playnext=1&list=PLB2011A03E75399A2&feature=results_main

I did replace my clutch packs with the Cobra kevlar clutches, as my LS was done at 275,000 miles. I also had a leaky axle seal to replace. I also did parking brake shoes at the same time since its super easy to replace them with the axles out.

the only issue I ran into on mine, was the bolt that holds the cross shaft in place had broken and I had to buy an extracting tool. You will need a 5/16" 12 point socket to remove that.

4. solorider

solorider New Member

City, State:
    Sebree, ky
    1998 ford explorer
    Thank you

The video was very helpful. I appreciate your help.