Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

98 explorer 4X4 fluid refill

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by zierk0310, December 25, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. zierk0310

zierk0310 New Member

City, State:
    Rogers AR
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 explorer XLT 4X4
    Hello ALl I'm new to the site, and I really used it a lot yesterday. Thanks to all for the useful information, on removing the pan.

Now for my question for the experts. Most of the forum discussions said that the refill would take about 3 1/2 to 4 quarts, which is pretty much the amount of Mercon V that the spares shop gave me. Now that I've decanted the old oil into containers it looks like I have about 7 quarts, plus probably about a quart or more that ended up on the floor and in my clothes.

I've added all 4 quarts to the system, and even after cycling through the gears, it does not show up on the dip stick until the car has been standing for about 10 minutes and then it bearly makes the bottom of the stick.

When I cycled drive and also reverse, it did not engage until reves reached about 2500. So the question really is do I need to add another 3 to 4 quarts before I get normal operation, and should I just throw it all in, or do it gradually?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. scucci

scucci Active Member

98 Sport
    From the service manual:
    98 Explorer/Mountaineer — 5R55E (4x4) 4.0L 9.8 liters 10.3 qts MERCON ® V; XT-5-QM

4. swshawaii

swshawaii Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
    '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
    The dipstick is the ONLY accurate way of checking. Level ground, engine hot and running, in park.
    A clean paper towel for visibility and add as needed. Do not overfill and use the cross hatch marks.

5. zierk0310

zierk0310 New Member

City, State:
    Rogers AR
    1998 explorer XLT 4X4
    Thanks for the help. it took 6 1/2 quarts.