98 Explorer Sport 2wd to 4wd?

csuskaterboy

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Collins, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' Sport 2wd
Hello:

Someone told me that the 98 Explorer Sport 2WD and 4WD are on the same frame and to convert a 2wd to a 4wd is practically just a part swap. Does anyone know if this is true?

If it is is, I can easily get a donor vehicle for the parts as my roomie works in a junk yard and sees them often (not sure what he means by that).

Also is the process something that can be done in a summer? I would trade for a 4wd but this was my first car and I love it. Been the best car I've owned.

Thanks

Michael

Specs:
1998 Explorer Sport 2WD
5-Speed Manual Transmission, 4.0L OHV
All mechanical items are stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. You wouldn't even have to change out the suspension components. Just swap in the front differential, half shafts, knuckles, driveshafts, and a transfer case. The hardest part will be the transmission. I'm sure they made 4WD manual tranny Explorers.. but I think they're pretty rare. Easiest would be to get a 98-01 4WD manual Explorer with a manual shift tcase in it. Then it would be simply bolting parts in. You can do an Auto shift tcase but it would be a little more work.

Hey, I am deffinatly interested in this topic, and could be quite helpful, as i own a 99 Explorer 2wd as well as a 96 Exploder 4X4 Both are five speed manual.

can the same be done with a 95 2wd explorer just swich parts from same year 4x4 one ? If so what years explorer can i use? For the parts? Thanks

shame your not close by, I have a 98 sport 4x4 that im scrapping lol.

Back