98 explorer sport oshc 150,000 miles help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer sport oshc 150,000 miles help!

Tony2120

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer sport
I just picked up a 98 ford explorer sport oshc and it has no reverse but drive works fine. I was wondering if someone could help me diagnosis what could be the problem or redirect me to a forum that already has a diagnosis of no reverse for my vehicle type. Any help is greatly apriciated thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I recently picked up a 98 ford explorer sport oshc with 152k miles and was wondering what things I should look into replacing or things that normaly go bad around this milage. I noticed my fan is cracked all the way around is that normal? Think control arm bushings or ball joint is bad. Need shocks and shackles. Transmition has no reverse drive works fine. Does it sound like it would be worth fixing? Any help is very much apriciated

normally the reverse band breaks do to the servo overextending. it snaps the tab off the band that makes it tighten on the reverse drum. if you pull the trans out, and find the 5r55e manual (do a search on here, it is posted), and you have some type of mech. knowledge, you can do this repair. i have never dug into a trans until i had this happen once. it took me 2 hours to take it apart, and put it back together. i wasnt sure i did it the correct way, so i took it all apart, looked everything over (turns out i did to it right) and put it back together the second time in 45 mins.

SOHC. normally the ball joints (upper and lower) go on these trucks, as well as the sway bar end links. if your fan is cracked, replace it with a new one before it brakes and takes out the rad and or hoses or anything else it will fly into.

At 150,000 your fuel pump will be close to the end though it might depend on whether you live in a warm or cold state.

As always with the SOHC, keep an eye (ear) on your timing chains.
At the first sign of start up rattle replace the tensioners.

FIRST sign. If you wait to long the damage will be done.

Will have to check fuel pump might have been replaced. The start up rattle ur speaking of i just got the vehical so if it is already rattling would i be able to tell ? As far as transmition I'll have to look into it don't want to screw myself. I'll take a look at sway bar links. Now when I picked it up I had a mechanic talked a look at it said control arm was bad someone told me they don't go bad it's ether ball joints or busshings?

The start up rattle ur speaking of i just got the vehical so if it is already rattling would i be able to tell ?

Listen for a rattle in the the top of the engine on the first cold start of the day.

Is there a good thread (link) for replacing the tensioners on the SOHC?

On the SOHC I have... it rattles on start-up but is fine other than that.

Thankyou Sir :)

Back