Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

98 Explorer V6 OHV stalls after wires/plugs changed

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by brukshut, April 19, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. brukshut

brukshut New Member

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 XLT 4.0 V6
      Greetings all,

I have 98 XLT V6 pushrod 4x4, 115K miles.

I just changed my plugs/wires (had cylinder misfire on #3). JBA cables/NGK iridiums. Had to gunk engine before changing plugs due to build up of oil and grime (I inherited truck). After changing plugs and wires, truck turns over, runs, but stalls in gear.

I cleaned MAF, cleaned IAC, replaced fuel filter. Now idles perfectly, stalls in gear. Someone says locked-up torque converter in transmission, but I'm not sure how that could happen.

It is idling on the low side, in gear forward or reverse it stalls. Won't start back up for a while...I thought new fuel filter would fix things?

Running lean, had 0174, 0171 lean codes so most likely have intake gasket leaks which need to be fixed. But not sure why I am stalling now.

I'm getting a few minor pops and misfires, but I thought this was due to water in the system from gunking engine. Could it be timing issue?

I'm now trying to reset PCM and see if it adjusts idle. Maybe I'll clean IAC more thoroughly. Someone suggested the throttle body, oiling it or cleaning it.

Sorry, this is common problem. Anyone have any suggestions or leads? Appreciated as always.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. IronIndian

IronIndian Active Member

City, State:
      Glendale, CA
      1991 Mazda Navajo
      Make sure you have the correct firing order...

4. brukshut

brukshut New Member

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      1998 XLT 4.0 V6
      Haha! I'm such an idiot. 4 & 5 were swapped in wrong positions on the coil. Funny no matter how many times you look at the diagram...I even found two different ones to cross reference in case I made a mistake. No wonder car was shuddering when I tried to start it? (haha) That can't be good for it...

Thanks a lot. You saved me $60 parking ticket (I live in New York)! Great site, great community.

5. IronIndian

IronIndian Active Member

City, State:
      Glendale, CA
      1991 Mazda Navajo
      No prob man, just glad to hear your up n runnin. Just tryin to pass around the good karma...