98 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc stuck in 4 hi | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc stuck in 4 hi

Mynameis1388

Reaction score
City, State
MN town
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ford Explorer xlt 4.0
Hey guys, this is my first post. My explorer seems to be stuck in 4hi. Just over a week ago I had to have my truck towed due to fuel pump going out. The tow truck hooked up and we were on our way, bout five miles later errrrrr, pull over and the passenger front wheel locked up. Well he put on the dollies and continued on. Truck sat for a few days put in new fuel pump (cut hole under back seat) and since then I have been locked in. Drove it 2 hrs to get home and have been driving every day. But it doesn't sound or feel good taking turns.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have tried flipping it betwwen hi and auto, in neutral, reverse, unplugging wires to transfer case...I have it jacked up with both front wheels off ground now. Slow nite @ work...Thanks

How did the tow truck tow you, front wheels off the ground, rear wheels off the ground, or flatbed?

I had front end jacked up last nite and front wheels turn together the same direction

Probably blew the clutch pack in the transfer case.

Can I remove dRive shaft to free up wheels and just no 4wd

Back