Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

[98 Explorer XLT 5.0] (Another) Turn Signal Problem, Replaced Everything, Please Help

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by explorer_dude1, March 29, 2016.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. explorer_dude1

explorer_dude1 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    98 Explorer XLT 5.0
    Long time lurker here, finally got a problem that I need some help solving.

Problem: Recently, turn signals stopped working on both sides. In the beginning, the turn signal would be on then suddenly stop flashing, even though the lever was still switched. I'd turn it off then on again and it would work for a while. Eventually they just stopped turning on altogether.

What I have tried:

Checked all the fuses of course, everything seems fine.
    Replaced the flasher under the dash, didn't help.
    Checked out the Multi Function Switch. Noticed some black around one of the sockets on the plug (shorting?). Tried to refurbish the MFS but it didn't seem to help.
    Replaced the MFS and.. still no luck.

Hazards do work just fine. When I push the turn signal lever either direction, I do hear a click that seems to be coming from the flasher under the dash.

Please, this is is a work vehicle and I really need to get this fixed. ANY suggestions are welcome, thank you in advance.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
    '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
  4. explorer_dude1

explorer_dude1 New Member

98 Explorer XLT 5.0
    I checked the connectors very closely when I replaced the MFS and it all looked good. I strapped them on just in case, doesn't seems to be the cause in this case .

We Support Our Troops!