98 Explorer XLT- Auto Headlamps Not Working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer XLT- Auto Headlamps Not Working

seachunk2

Reaction score
City, State
farmingdale, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer xlt v8
The auto headlamps stopped working. Everything (headlamps and rear tail lights) turns on fine manually from the lamp switch but nothing when with the auto lamp feature. The rear view mirror switch is turned on and the green indicator light is lit. The headlamp and rear tail lights do not go on with auto lamp. Any ideas what to check?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spray some electrical contact cleaner in the slide switch on the mirror and slide it back and forth a bunch of times. That worked for me when my autolamps started acting up. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice Bobflood. I sprayed the switch and any crevices/opening very well with electrical contact cleaner and slid the switch several times to help clean any crud but it didn't help. I noticed that the switch doesn't stay in the off position when I slide it to off, it slides a bit to the right as soon as I let go and the green indicator light illuminates. I suspect the switch is shot. Can it be replaced or do I need a new rear view mirror? (My mirror has the auto head lamp feature and there a temp & compass in the overhead console above the mirror).
Also, before I do anything with the mirror assembly, my search on the internet seems to tell me that if the headlights, rear tail lights, console and parking lamps do not illuminate when the auto head-lamp feature is activated, it's unlikely that the associated relays are the problem since all of them would have to be defective for nothing to work.
Can anyone confirm that several independent relays are involved with the auto-headlamp feature? If that's the way it works then the central problem may in fact be the switch on the mirror, or if there is one feed wire coming from the switch and feeding all the relays, then maybe that wire id damaged. If the switch or the feed wire is shot nothing will work downstream.
Does anyone have a schematic for a 98 5.0 XLT Explorer?
I can do without the auto lamp feature but if I can repair it for a few bucks and a bit of time then why not? Thanks!

I am having the same problem with my 98 mountaineer ,all my relays and fuses are good.

Did you check the relay under the dash above the gas petal.

if it is not the switch

check these fuses
Power Distribution Box Fuse 11 (15A)
Fuse Junction Panel Fuse 11 (7.5A)
Power Distribution Box Mini-Fuse 12 (30A)

and the headlamp relay

Same issue with my 99 Limited. Headlights work just fine manually, mirror lights up green but no auto lamps.

Back