Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

'98 Ford Expedition Turn Signal Switch Connector

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Thiom, September 4, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Thiom

Thiom New Member

City, State:
    Vidor, TX
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 ford expedition
    My current problem is with my '98 Expedition, blinkers not working. I've changed out the relays, fuses and the turn signal/windshield/hi-low beam switch. Everything seemed to be going great - until, until I tried to plug the 'turn signal switch connector' (upper plug) most of the pins/wires came out, I broke one trying to put it in some place it didn't wanna go. I went and got a new plug, it came with all the wires and they are gray/white in color - not matching my wires. I went to my Chilton (page 12-6 catalog #26666) and it shows the plug - the terminals are numbered 1-8. My wires are colored - green, green w/white stripe, blue (maybe light blue), white w/ blue stripe, orange w/blue stripe, white w/red stripe, pink (reddish?) w/black stripe and orange w/green (or green w/orange). I've searched most everywhere in the past 5 weeks and I've not found anything that would / could be helpful. I'm needing a color/pin plug location for these wires - thanks Thomas

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. rasouth

rasouth Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Riverside, CA
    96 Explorer XLT 4.0 OHV
    I've been fighting a problem with my wipers and found a wiring diagram online that featured all the color codes and wire harnesses for the turn signal switch, headlights, wipers, etc. and for the life of me I can't find the pages I printed out.
    I just got online and searched for wiring diagram for '96 Ford Explorer.
    Good luck!

4. Thiom

Thiom New Member

City, State:
    Vidor, TX
    1998 ford expedition
    all the wiring diagrams I've found show a generic "box" with the wire colors noted... but this plug is in the shape of a "1" w/ 3 at the top (2 to the right a 1 to the left) and 5 at the bottom (3 at the very bottom and 2 just above them)… thinking I may have to go to the junk yard and buy the switch with the plug intact - with about 3-4 inches of wire??? "if" I can find one... I don't know what else - thank you, Thom

5. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
    On Rock Auto it looks like your connector is the same part # as for this generation of Explorers.

I happened upon a (something, might've been a webpage or already a PDF) for an '03 Sport Trac that has a picture of the back of this connector on the last page. I'll attach it and do a screencap of the pic... not sure if it matches your Expedition wire colors but it beats nothing... maybe. :D

connector back.jpg

2nd pic has wire color initials on it

multifunction lever switch testing pinout.gif

PDF the first pic came from (thanks Steve M!):

Attached Files:

Last edited: September 5, 2019
  6. Thiom

Thiom New Member

City, State:
    Vidor, TX
    1998 ford expedition
    this is sooo close... got the actual pin numbers where it plugs in... in place of those generic numbers from Chilton... I guess my orange and their brown is one of the same - LOL...
    THANK you J_C & thank Steve M! - this IS a very good start - do have a blessed weekend - Thom

7. Thiom

Thiom New Member

City, State:
    Vidor, TX
    1998 ford expedition
    THANK YOU!!! - the plug is the same for the 03 Sport Trac as well as '98 Expedition... colors are sooo close to the same - as mine has (3) to the right on the plug can't make out those numbers on the " terminal location on switch" and the colors don't match... but it is more than I had when I got out of bed this morning - thank you again, I very much appreciate it - 5 out of 8 aint bad... :)

8. 1998Exp

1998Exp Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Seattle WA
    98 Limited V8 AWD
    Did this job on my '98 Explorer a few months ago. This plug was used on several SUVs and trucks for a decade, and the wires pulling out is a very common problem. Should have been a recall, as this is clearly a manufacturing defect and safety related (happened to me in the middle of a long trip and I had to use hand signals, but at night they weren't noticed and it scared me to death).
    The color photo that J_C provided is very close to my '98 Explorer, and hopefully to your Expedition as well, but the diagram, even though it has the correct circuit number seems a bit strange. Looking at wires in the color photo, I have a couple observations:
    * The middle wire on the right is brown/yellow, not red/white
    * The bottom wire on the right is light green/white (seems green in the photo)
    * The top wire on the left is brown/yellow, not green/orange
    * The bottom wire on the left is dark brown/white, not orange/blue

Hope that helps

9. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
    ^ Yes the two pics are not consistent, and I don't know which one is right for a
    '98 Expedition if either are, BUT I have now found a different diagram that better matches the first picture from the PDF because it has the LG/O and O/LB wires..

connector.png

Last edited: September 5, 2019
  10. Thiom

Thiom New Member

City, State:
    Vidor, TX
    1998 ford expedition
    Thank you, but there seems to be some color differences in the '98 Explorer and '98 Expedition, there is no brown/yellow nor brown/white on the Expedition, must of been in a different shop - LOL, thanks anyway - do hope you have a great weekend. Thom

11. Thiom

Thiom New Member

City, State:
    Vidor, TX
    1998 ford expedition
    this is perfect, but I do have an extra terminal and wire. Between 9 & 5 - I have a terminal on my new and old switch and I do have an extra wire - the wire is pinkish/red with a black stipe, sooo - there isn't but one place for it to go... J_C - I do appreciate you and this forum... inspection goes out at the end of this month... PERFECT... :)