• Register Today It's free!

98 Ford Explorer XLT- High miles?

xKNIGHTx17

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Ranger,98 Explorer XLT
Hey im thinking about fixing up a 98 ford explorer :exp: my parents gave me to drive while i finish college, plan to paint it tuxedo black and put off road tires, but my biggest question is it has 164,000 miles it has the 5.0L V8 Would the Ex.. be reliable to drive back and forth from college my last two years??.
Thanks, KNIGHT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's the 5.0, it's barely broken in. Nice score.

You've come to the right place.

but my biggest question is it has 164,000 miles it has the 5.0L V8 Would the Ex.. be reliable to drive back and forth from college my last two years??.
Thanks, KNIGHT
Too many unknowns to be able to give a good answer to a question like that.

Was the oil changed regularly?
Was the transmission flushed regularly?
Has the front end ever had any work done to it?
What kind of driving did it see?

etc. etc.

my parents bought it new. so its well maintained, jus highway miles from trips and things, were avid campers,

The second generation (1995-2000) Explorers with the 5.0L V-8 has possibly the most durable and reliable drive train ever put in an Explorer. Since this truck has been in your family since new, and maintained well, you should have little trouble with it. I would recommend changing the transmission fluid if it hasn't been done in the last 30k-40k miles. IMO, changing the transmission fluid is one of the most overlooked maintenance items that can prevent an expense repair. Barring any abuse, the truck should serve you well if you can deal with the gas mileage being 17-20 mpg city and highway.

I agree that if it's been maintained routinely, it should serve you well. Know going in that with that kind of mileage you'll be looking at front suspension maintenance probably being necessary (tie rod ends, ball joints and so on.), and if not done it'll eat you out of house and home keeping tires on it.

Also, if it's never had a transmission flush you may have a problem brewing there.

Back