Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

98 mercury mountaineer 5.0 rear and front diff question?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Kushaholic612, August 11, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Kushaholic612

Kushaholic612 New Member

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 Mercury Mountaineer
    I am looking everywhere on the how to lists and I cant find the answer, and I tried searching, anyways. I am trying to change the differential fluid on my 98, 5.0 Merc mounti and I'm seeing video's of people taking the back cover off! Is there no drain plug on the back diff. or r these fools "special"? I need to also flush my front differential because I'm towing a 6x8 trailer from minneapolis to denver and already know I need a rear wheel bearing. I just have that shakiness that someone described as a front diff seizing! I have to make this trip in 3 weeks, can someone help me with my, probably stupid, questions! Thanks in advance BTW!

Last edited: August 11, 2011
  2. Support EF

Special! - 2 Year Elite membership now through July 24 $20!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Lube

Lube Active Member

City, State:
    Oklahoma
    95 XLT
    Yes, in most instances the only way to drain a differential is to remove the cover. If you're already in a situation of having bearing problems, fresh gear oil won't help though.

4. Sbyrne97

Sbyrne97 Active Member

City, State:
    Mason Neck, Virginia
    97' Mountaineer
    buy a suction pump from an auto parts store, and suck as much old fluid as you can out of the front diff... the fill plug is on the back i think

Then clear the lines of the pump and replace with new fluid...its what I did

5. SoNic67

SoNic67 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Newport News, VA
    2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
    That leaves the eventual water in the diff (water stays on bottom).