98 Sohc Temp/Trans Probs

espnfreak

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
My dads 98 Sohc is having the temperature go all the way up to the red sometimes and then it goes down and he also says its shifting funny and acting overall wierd. It sounds like the tstat went bad but im not totally sure. Ill try to post some more details after I talk to him later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like the temperature sensorre is shot. You don't hear a hissing/whistling sound near the airbox do you? Anyways, you can get a new tem. sensor for about 25-30 bucks at Autozone. Good Luck!

replace the tstat and go from there.

That's normal for some newer explorers to do that. The engine idle is increased in an attempt to reduce heat.

Also, the tranny may be overheating as well, because when the motor overheats, the tranny does too because the tranny fluid runs through the lower radiator.

The thermostat is probably dead.

I agree with everyone regarding the thermostat. When mine went out on my SOHC, my idle increased to about 1200 RPM which also resulted in my transmission shifting hard. The reason is just before a shift, Ford drops the engine speed to idle. When it shifts at 1200 RPM instead of 700 RPM you'll notice the difference in feel. Have your Dad replace the thermostat and everything will be fine.

Originally posted by espnfreak
My dads 98 Sohc is having the temperature go all the way up to the red sometimes and then it goes down and he also says its shifting funny and acting overall wierd.
These are the exact symptoms I had when my thermostat went bad.

No freaking way.!!!! I have been having the exact same problems on the exact same year the past two dayz.....Time to replace the thermostat

Back