Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

'98 Sport Gear Shifter

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by BOTTOMGUN, April 10, 2004.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. BOTTOMGUN

BOTTOMGUN New Member

City, State:
    Keyport, Washington
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '98 Sport
    The gear shifter on the column (A/T) has somehow slipped. You see the needle between P and R while it should be in P. When I put it in D, you see it in 2. Ford told me that I have to replace the entire cable assembly for about $185 and I think it is BS. Any ideas on how to fix this? My first problem after replacing the Thermostat at 28K miles and it now has 63k.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BBQ_HotDogs

BBQ_HotDogs A Man Without Wheels

City, State:
    Houston, Texas
    98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)
    I don't know how to fix this except to replace it. I have the whole shooting match, gauge cluster, that I will sell you if you are interested. It is for a 98 also and is in perfect condition. All you would have to do is replace the odometer from yours to it if you wanted to. But it is complete and perfect working order and allot cheaper than the dealer wants to replace that one item.
    Let me know if you are interested.

4. draft

draft Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mounty Sport
    I suggest you open up your dash and look into this yourself. Seems like its a simple issue of it getting stuck. Look in the "Useful Threads" forum to see how to get into your dash (It should be named "Installing Indiglo Gauges"), it slips right out of the cluster, and then you'll be able to fiddle with it. I'd try this before spending a dime on another, and if you need to, I'd hit up with BBQ on his. Good luck.

5. BBQ_HotDogs

BBQ_HotDogs A Man Without Wheels

City, State:
    Houston, Texas
    98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)
  6. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Kelseyville, CA
    '13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
    Depending on how much adjustment your cable has left, you might be able to adjust it back in to the proper location. Once you get the metal cover off from the bottom of the dash under the steering wheel, there is a small plastic gear-looking adjuster (about 1/2" in diameter). When you turn it, the needle will move in relation to the direction you turn the wheel. I would start there.