• Register Today It's free!

'98 Sport Gear Shifter

BOTTOMGUN

Reaction score
City, State
Keyport, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
The gear shifter on the column (A/T) has somehow slipped. You see the needle between P and R while it should be in P. When I put it in D, you see it in 2. Ford told me that I have to replace the entire cable assembly for about $185 and I think it is BS. Any ideas on how to fix this? My first problem after replacing the Thermostat at 28K miles and it now has 63k.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know how to fix this except to replace it. I have the whole shooting match, gauge cluster, that I will sell you if you are interested. It is for a 98 also and is in perfect condition. All you would have to do is replace the odometer from yours to it if you wanted to. But it is complete and perfect working order and allot cheaper than the dealer wants to replace that one item.
Let me know if you are interested.

I suggest you open up your dash and look into this yourself. Seems like its a simple issue of it getting stuck. Look in the "Useful Threads" forum to see how to get into your dash (It should be named "Installing Indiglo Gauges"), it slips right out of the cluster, and then you'll be able to fiddle with it. I'd try this before spending a dime on another, and if you need to, I'd hit up with BBQ on his. Good luck.

Here is the link that draft is talking about. Good luck with whichever direction you chose. My direction is just a simple fix, replace the broken part with a new one. But here is the link for "Installing Indiglo Gauges".
Dead Link Removed

Depending on how much adjustment your cable has left, you might be able to adjust it back in to the proper location. Once you get the metal cover off from the bottom of the dash under the steering wheel, there is a small plastic gear-looking adjuster (about 1/2" in diameter). When you turn it, the needle will move in relation to the direction you turn the wheel. I would start there.

Back