'98 Tail Light brush guards on a '96? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 Tail Light brush guards on a '96?

Brandon96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Central Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4.0 OHV
I just recently bought a Safari Bar err... really well built brush guard* that came with some tail light guards that came off a '98 Explorer. I know I can mount the Bar, but the tail gaurds I thought would be pretty sweet to throw on to complete the look. But, they don't fit?

BY CHANCE, has anyone encounted this and overcame it? I mean, ANYone gotten '98 Manik Rear Tail Light gaurds to fit on a '96 Explorer?

IF not, 1 Pair of '98 tail light guards, in really really nice condition for sale, or trade, for some that will fit a '96!!! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine said 95-01 so why wouldn't yours fit? are those the ones that you do not have to drill? maybe that's the reason....

yeah, there's pre drilled holes in them...

I'll post a picture of them and the tail light mount this afternoon when I get home so you guys can let me know what you think.

Mine said 95-01 so why wouldn't yours fit? are those the ones that you do not have to drill? maybe that's the reason....

Ford changed the shape of the tail lights in '98along with the rear. That is why they won't fit.

I'm aware Dan, but I thought that since you had to drill (at least on mine) to mount them you could do it in a way that would work.... but I've seen some that say "no drilling required" maybe those are the ones causing problems... Oh well

Back