Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

98 XLT Dana 44 on Leafs

Discussion in 'Solid Axle Swap Registry' started by j_mazala, March 25, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. j_mazala

j_mazala Member

City, State:
    Bay Area, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    98 XLT
    Thanks man thats exactly what I was going for, clean and simple.

No problems but the bigger tires are harder on everything. Gears help to take some of the strain off and I'm going to add a bigger cooler but other than that you just gotta live with the fact that a lot of components on the vehicle will have a shorter life. I built it to wheel and still be a daily driver and understand that I'm going to be replacing parts more often than if I had left it stock and it never saw a trail.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Feel like explaining the ABS pump delete? Be very much appreciated :D

4. j_mazala

j_mazala Member

City, State:
    Bay Area, CA
    98 XLT
    Can't remember for sure but I believe the 98+ Explorers need to keep the electronic part of the pump for the speedo to work. So I took the pump apart and kept the harness attached to the pump electronics. Then I ran the brake line coming from the rear and attached it directly to the master cylinder. I ran all new lines in the front put a T in and attached them to the other port on the master.

I also switched to a master at the same time that had the proportioning valve built in being that the pump handled those duties before. If I were to do it again I would have used the stock master and plumbed in an adjustable prop valve in the rear circuit. This is because the master I switched to had a bigger bore to match with the bigger bore on my new calipers but I got that ratio wrong and had to switch to calipers with an even bigger bore to get everything right again. The stock master would have worked fine with the normal half ton calipers but I had to swap to the larger bore 3/4 ton calipers with the JB7 brake code.

Overall its pretty simple especially on an earlier model where you can just trash everything and run some new lines with a proportioning valve.

I might be missing some details so let me know if anything doesnt make sense

5. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Thank you very much! :)

So since I am working on a 95/OBDI Ex,... I can keep the stock master, add a T block, install 2 new front lines to the T via the MC, then add a prop valve inline to the rear lines via the other MC line hole, and not worry about the speedo/modulator?

Do prop valves come pre set to the ratio we use now? 70f/30r? I really have no experience with the prop valves, and getting an adjustable valve might get me in trouble! LOL

6. j_mazala

j_mazala Member

City, State:
    Bay Area, CA
    98 XLT
    Im honestly not too sure about the prop valve that I have. It is the stock one that screws into the master off a mid 80s F-150 I think haha. It seems to work though, when I stomp on the brakes the rear doesnt lock up and want to swing around which is what I was hoping to avoid by using this master/prop valve combo.

From what I've read for the adjustable prop valves you just adjust it so that the front lock up before the rear so it stays straight under hard emergency braking.

On a 95 the speedo should be off the cable from the tcase so you should be able to get rid of all the pump junk and not have to have anything plugged in. Just need to route some new lines

7. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Well, there is where the 95 is a puzzle sometimes. It's considered OBD1.5, as the trans is OBDII. There is no speedo cable, and uses the VSS(in t-case) electrical feed only for the speedo.

I need to find out if the ABS is OBDI or II on it. :dunno:

You have helped me a bunch with the info you have already given, and it's much appreciated...thanks :)

8. j_mazala

j_mazala Member

City, State:
    Bay Area, CA
    98 XLT
    Small update on the tan turd..

Finally rebuilt my front driveshaft after breaking it I don't even remember how long ago. Used a couple Spicer parts and a 91-94 Explorer shaft to build what I had in mind. First step was to cut off the spline portion of the shaft leaving the tube and CV assembly. Then I cut the ears off the female portion and ground down the outer diameter from 1.9" to 1.75" so it would fit inside the driveshaft tube and welded it in with 4 plug welds. Then I took the two parts I bought and welded them together with a short piece of 2" by .125" wall tube.

Overall the process was easy but the female splines did distort a bit from the welding but I was able to clean them up and get it to work. Now I have a ~5" of useable travel shaft for $100. We'll see how it hold up but so far so good

The parts

http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/product/SPI-2-28-1757.html

http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/product/SPI-2-40-2661.html

[​IMG]

Then I went to KOH, didn't wheel just went to spectate but did ok in the desert and ~1000mi roundtrip.

Got home and started playing around with bumper ideas. Planning on 1.5" poo pipe (1.9" OD) this is with some 1.5" OD tube set 3" from the body. Yes it will wrap around.

[​IMG]

Planning on fabbing up some frame horns kinda like this for it

[​IMG]

9. tvalentino

tvalentino Active Member

City, State:
    BAY AREA, CALI
    96 XLT
    Nice lookin rig

10. 01STrunner

01STrunner Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Greer, SC
    2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
    What are the dimensions and type of metal that you used for your steering linkages? The look beefier than most SAS's.

11. 2TimingTom

2TimingTom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Littleton, Colorado
    '97 XLT
    Do you still have the 3" BL even after the SOA and SAS?

12. j_mazala

j_mazala Member

City, State:
    Bay Area, CA
    98 XLT
    I used 1.5x.250 DOM for the steering linkages and the body lift is looooong gone

13. cmhaah06

cmhaah06 Active Member

City, State:
    CLOVIS, CA
    91 XLT
    Updates?