Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

99 eddie bauer mach stereo problem

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by cg82, December 28, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. cg82

cg82 New Member

City, State:
      Ontario
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      99 Eddie Bauer
      It seems I'm having the same problem as others out there with my (MACH system in a 99 EB) stereo overheating and as a result the display cuts-out but the sound keeps working. I'm considering replacing the head unit completely but would like to know what parts/harneses and how much time and money is required so that the factory subwoofer and steering wheel controls still work. Please let me know your thoughts/experiences

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 4x4firefighter

4x4firefighter Active Member

City, State:
      Oneonta, NY
      99 Eddie Limited
      it really depends on how good ur skills r n how fancy u wana go....do a search tho because theres a modual thing u have to get if u want to use the stearing wheel controls on an aftermarket radio

4. Cobraguy

Cobraguy Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth
      1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0
      Go to the Audio and Navigation section of the forum. There is a ton of information available on this subject. Short answer: it's very easy to go aftermarket head unit and retain steering wheel controls and factory subwoofer. Mine is that way.

5. joecrna

joecrna Active Member

City, State:
      Las Flores, CA
      98 XLT 4X4 sohc
      Fixing the factory head unit display is also easy and reliable (at about $100).

6. cg82

cg82 New Member

City, State:
      Ontario
      99 Eddie Bauer
      Yeah I've found some links to some fix options that I think I might try myself first. Basically I was just wondering if there was a way to maintain the system's funtionality without buying a new amp and doing an amp bypass. What head unit and harness options did you go with Crobraguy, I hav been looking at Eclips and Pioneer.

Thanks