99 Ex AWD - Drives for 30 seconds then stops moving! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Ex AWD - Drives for 30 seconds then stops moving!

NeoTokyo

Reaction score
City, State
Redding, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD
Heya everyone!

I wanted to ask other members of their opinion of my problem.
My rig is a 1999 Explorer AWD 5.0L.

I believe that the pump has failed or maybe the torque converter went bad.
I spent a couple hours digging around the forums and on google but have not found the exact same symptoms described as I am having.

Here is what my Explorer does.

Starts up perfect every time, no dash lights on.
When you put it into reverse or drive you will be able to move for about 30 seconds or until you change gears.
At this point it will act like it is in Neutral and the front of the transmission will start whining, a whine that gets louder with an increase of RPM's.

If you put it back in park and turn it off and start up again, it will do exactly the same thing as above. It will always drive at first but then stop quickly.

* Fluid level is normal
* Fluid is not dark but has a slight caramel smell to it.
* Can not see any glint or shavings in fluid on dip stick.

Am I right in assuming that this is a pump issue? Has anyone else heard of this or had it happened?

Also, could it be a clogged or loose transmission filter causing this issue?
Could a bad valve body gasket cause this issue?

Thanks everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess this one is a stumper? lol

Torque converter is trash or you filter is plugging up with junk. When you shut off the vehicle all the junk falls away from the filter pickup and once started it will collect at the pick up and block fluid flow and cause a noise as the pump it trying to get fluid.

Thank you Transman, that helps a lot to have another opinion. :)

I am going to change the filter first then and see if that helps.

I had a 2004 Ford Freestar that had a similar filter and a similar problem.
Its filter had slid down off the rubber seal rings.
I swapped it out and it worked perfectly after that.

Your welcome, hope it all works out for you.

Update time!

Drove then stopped!

Ok so I did the trans flush, I drained the TC but not the trans cooler lines.

I did not find any metal in the pan.

The truck drove just fine after adding 12 quarts back in.
Is this the correct amount that I need for the TC and trans? It shows full on the dipstick.

Whelp it DID drive just fine. I drove it about 20 miles round trip with a couple stops in between. When I made my last stop I lost all forward gears, it wasn't even changing RPM, I only had reverse left. O/D Also never turned off, pressing the button did nothing and yes, it was in OD. From what I read this is a common button issue, but is there something deeper that could be related to no forward gears?

Reverse works perfectly, lots of power and no problems.

What would cause a sudden loss of all forward gears but still allow reverse?
Could this be EPC related or internal harness or solenoids or something?

I am at a loss.

Thanks everyone.

PS. It doesn't whine anymore.

It needs to come out and be disassembled and gone through. My first thought is your Fwd clutch pack is smoked. Not going to be an easy fix.

Gotcha. That's too bad.

What are your thoughts on buying a used Transmission?

LKQ has one for $450 that comes with the harness and the torque converter.
They say it only has about 100,000 miles on it and it will come with a 3 month warranty.

It is a roll of the dice with used transmissions. You have the same amount of labor on R&R with used, rebuild, reman. Is the vehicle something you are going to keep? Can you replace it for the cost of repair with an "as good" vehicle?

Yup, I plan on keeping it.

I don't plan on turning the old transmission in as a core though as I would like to rebuild it myself.

Is it possible that the valve body gasket is blown out?
Would that allow it to only have reverse?

I torqued the valve body bolts down to 90 inch pounds, each bolt turned slightly, the same as breaking loose but tightening down. It is probably because of my torque wrench.

I am going to take the valve body off and inspect the gasket tomorrow and see if there is anything clogging anything.

Back