99 exp won't crank after rain and electrial pulses | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 exp won't crank after rain and electrial pulses

bradylaw

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 For Explorer - Eddie
This morning went out to start my 99 explorer. Turned the key and got the clicking sound of a dead battery. Put on a charger with a start feature and did the same thing. But what was most interesting is that the lights etc on the dash were flashing and the speedo or tach was jumping up and down. I checked the battery and it shows as charged. I noticed a few drops of water in the back about 2 feet from the back window on each side. I am going to put the car into the garage and let it "dry" but I wondered if there was something I should go look at. I've seen the recommendations on WD-40 on door locks and to check the coil. Any other recommendations/ideas greatly appreciated.
Matt 9167305601

Check your battery cables and connectors.

solution found

It turned out to be a combination of a loose nut on the ground and amazingly a bad battery. When I found the nut on the ground a bit loose I thought I had it, but still no go. I even pulled out the battery and tried to start from the charger itself and no go. That lead me to think about the starter motor but it sounded o.k. So I took out the battery and it was dead and shorted out across 2 of the cells so that even with the 100 amp charger it was still going to ground. New battery in, nut tightened and I was good to go.

thanks again.

Back