99 Expedition XLT 4x4 build thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Expedition XLT 4x4 build thread

Actually I changed my mind, I am going to return the boot tomorrow and get the whole assy instead. For 20 bucks more, it just makes sense to buy the whole damn thing and be done with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

20 bucks huh. Yeah, save you come labour and probably a headache later on.

Well I purchased a new axle today instead of just relacing the boot. Did not make sense doing that as I still needed to take out the shaft to do the boot. And also trying to fit the boot over the CV knuckle. So for ease and time, and only 20 bucks more than the boot itself, I replaced it today. The only PITA part about this job was the clean-up of all the splattered grease that was from the busted boot. Man, that grease was everywhere. The sway bar was disconnected to get the shaft out, and was reconnected.

1.jpg

Well it looks as if I have a small rear main seal leak now. A drop or two is now escaping from it's confines.

Anyone replaced one before on a 4.6? I never have on this engine but have on many others. Is it a PITA or a simple straight forward replacement?

I like your build! I have a 97 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 XLT that could really use some attention like you are giving yours.

I did the rear main on my wife's Excursion with V10...same as doing any Ford rear main.

Well I was having problems with a intermitten odometer going in and out on the digital display. So tonite I finally went and took the cluster out and took it apart. I found a cold solder joint on one of nine prongs going thru the mother board that control the digital odometer display. I re-soldered it and while I was at I went ahead and installed a white indiglo cluster overlay. After it was all done, it turned out pretty sharp. As you can see also in the pics that the odometer is working again as it should.:thumbsup:
sdfsdf.jpg

fdgsdgfd.jpg

gchfgh.jpg

Well I just ordered my tuner, it is the EVOHT programmer.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EGE-16050/

EGE-16000.jpg

Should arrive by this weekend. Lets see what this thing can do to help with the fuel economy and performance.

Well I got the tuner in today and I installed a tune called 87 octane. After I installed the new tune, I took it for a test drive. I programmed it for the 33" tires and firmer shift points. I could not believe the difference with that tune. It takes off like it has a purpose, shifts much firmer, and the speedo is correct along with proper RPM ranges. Even at cruising speed, a partial throttle will cause the truck to take off quickly. Before the tune, the engine lagged at throttle response and required almost if not all throttle allowed to get it to take off when needed. No longer is that the issue. I am so happy with this EVOHT tuner it is just unbelievable. Money so well spent and there is 4 other tunes to use under the advance tuning. One of them is called Extreme, and I can't imagine what that will do after just using the 87 Octane tune. I recommend this to all that is looking for performance in the palm of your hand. It is alittle pricey at $400.00 to your door, but damn, it will pay for itself with fuel economy.
gkjgyhjk.jpg

hjhgj.jpg

Nice truck.

Camo seat covers from advanced auto?

Love that tuner.

nice expediton u got sound clip of the exhaust

No I do not have a sound clip as I do not have a cam corder. But it sounds nice and throaty, not like a glass pack, but tamer than a Flowmaster.

I received my new headlights today and installed them. The new lights look way better than the stockers and are far more visible at night with the amount light being disbursed.
SD531816.jpg

SD531829.jpg

SD531815.jpg

SD531818.jpg

SD531819.jpg

SD531823.jpg

SD531826.jpg

SD531817.jpg

Well this is just a follow up to the Edge EVO/HT tuning and the performance update to where I am now.

Before I bought the Edge tuner, I was averaging about 10-11 miles to the gallon with the 4.6 and a full tune up with only 120k to include aftermarket exhaust and full CAI. Now that I did the Edge tune, I am averaging between 15-17 miles to the gallon. I am using the tune specific called 87 Octane. It is as it says, meant to run on 87 octane. I have made a couple trips up to my Dads which is about 260miles round trip. After each trip I would fill up when I got to a 1/4 tank left which is at around 330 miles. That is around 19.5 gallons used to go 330 miles, which equates to 16.5 miles a gallon. That is a great increase compared to before I did the tune.

So after about 2k in miles since I tuned it, I would say I am earning my money back quickly in fuel mileage gain. And I would recommend this to anyone.

Well the CV axle Gremlin bit me again over the past week. I had to go out and get a new axle for the P/S this time. That makes a total of 3 shaft replacements in the past 3 months due to this TT lift. And keep in mind that I only lifted the front by 1.25" instead of full twist. The boots are at a angle to allow friction with the ribs of the boots are rubbing one another as I drive. And is causing the boot to split at the inner rib. This TT lift is junk in my opinion.

As I mentioned to another member early today, I am going to start piecing together my parts needed to do the solid axle swap using a D60 up front and a Sterling in the rear. Far more reliable and less chance of small part failure and get rid of the 1/2 crap.
SD531875.jpg

SD531874.jpg

Nice Headlights , Whats the brand or something similar , Also I Think its Pretty Cool Your going SAS on your Expedition ! I'm sure it will Look Tough As Nails When Done !

Sweet thanks , Not a bad price at all , Looking to get a set here soon for the new to us 2000

Well it looks like it is time for another replacement P/S axle shaft once again as the boot busted again. Damn this is becoming a PITA issue.

Sorry To Hear It Bit You Again , I Don't Think I'll be Doing Any TT on our Expedition

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I already have my spring buckets and shock mounts and trac bar mounts for the frame and axle. So the Solid axle swap is being pieced together. But it is as any other, a slow process till I can park it and get it done. Much more to buy and plan.

:salute:

Back