Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

99 explorer cat question

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by shanes76, July 2, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. shanes76

shanes76 Active Member

City, State:
      Zanesville, Ohio
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      99 Explorer Sport 4X4
      I have a question about my cat converter. My check engine light is on and I had it scanned and it comes back to both O2 sensors, 1 is burning rich and 1 is burning lean, could my converter be causing this? If I cut it off and weld a striaght pipe in place will it interfer with my O2 sensors?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      rich & lean

It is unusual to have one bank excessively rich and the other excessively lean. Did you happen to disconnect and reconnect the pre-cat O2 sensors before the Check Engine started illuminating? If so, you may have erroneously (left to right & right to left) reconnected them.

4. shanes76

shanes76 Active Member

City, State:
      Zanesville, Ohio
      99 Explorer Sport 4X4
      it was like that when I bought it and I had it scanned at autozone and tats what it came up, so I just change them around? Will it hurt anything removing my converter?

5. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      O2 heaters

The O2 sensors have a heater that is monitored by the PCM. You can disconnect the easiest one to access (usually the precat one on the driver side) and see if you get a heater fault for bank 1 (passenger side) or bank 2 (driver side). I wouldn't just switch them around unless you determine they are connected wrong.

6. shanes76

shanes76 Active Member

City, State:
      Zanesville, Ohio
      99 Explorer Sport 4X4
      well I had autozone check my codes this morning and the O2 sensors didnt show up, now its saying a vacum leak in the EVAP system, my egr solenoid wasnt working so I put a new on and unhooked the battery then hooked it back up and the light stayed off until I got on the highway and it came back on but I havent had it scanned again yet.