99 Explorer Projector headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer Projector headlights

Im thinking about buying those projectors on ebay, the ones that are basiaclly the whole headlight housing, they dont come with directions, are they plug and play pretty much or does this require any wire splicing and all of that..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are generally plug and play. They usually come with a harness to split your single bulb output into two bulbs that just plugs into your old harness.

Are you looking at these ones:
2010-12-31144941.jpg

Or these ones:
SANY0287-2.jpg

Theyre both very easy to hook up/install, its definitely time consuming though, take a good 2 hours todo it right.

The first pair is what I have now, the CCFL Halo Projectors, the 2nd pair on the black Ex is my old set, just the LED Halo Projectors. Lookwise, I love the first pair (CCFL is such a better Halo then the LED, so much brighter), and I like the way everythings layed out in them. The projector in them isnt my favorite, the projector in the other set is alot better.

There is splicing involved if you want to use any of those Halo rings, but that is pretty easy to do. You can either wire those to a switch run off the battery or another power source, or you can splice them into your parking lights.

sspx0085.jpg

Here's the second set lit up.

I got the same ones as GuardianSport for my gf and found them to be poorly made and a pita to fit... the other, slightly more expensive ones are apparently easier to fit.... which is the ones I'm going to be buying for my truck when the time comes...

Si

Im looking into the ones you have gaurdian..so the halos wont turn on unless you run them to the battery and a switch? Anyway to wire them to turn on with your DRLs? Im a noob when it comes to splicing and any electrical stuff, i personally wouldnt take the chance unless the halos were plug and play also, anyone from the Massachusetts area that could help me install them? Ill pay them just shoot me a price.

These are mine:

lights_front_4_EF_.jpg

Lots of threads in the archives about these as they were pretty much one of the first offerings for projectors in the 2nd gen. Not perfect, but effective. I've been very happy with mine. I disabled the halos. It's a matter of personal opinion, but I don't feel that aftermarket halos look good on ANY vehicle. I tried them out for a month and just couldn't get into them so I just snipped and stashed the wires leading to those.

There is some splicing etc and you need a rudimentary understanding of wiring to make these work, especially if you go HID. That all being said, I am pretty weak with all things automotive and I managed to get them to work. :D

*Edit to my post, there IS some splicing with the housings like Celly, and Guardian showed, but the CCFL ones like I have are all plug and play, Halo's and LED's already prewired

The ccfl lights go right in...I had to do some grinding to get the leds to fit. I'm not sure if they improved the fit on these.

I hate to bash, but i have to say they look so ricey. Back before all these kits hit ebay, I retrofitted old BMW projectors into clear lens headlights made for an explorer. Heres the end result

EDIT: I took the 4.0 symbol off and ignore the name. Old signature pic :p

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I hate to bash, but i have to say they look so ricey. Back before all these kits hit ebay, I retrofitted old BMW projectors into clear lens headlights made for an explorer. Heres the end result

EDIT: I took the 4.0 symbol off and ignore the name. Old signature pic :p

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

With all due respect, I don't think OEM (or equivalent) lights look right with retrofitted projectors in them. They look better in later generation Explorers but look odd in 1st or 2nd gens.

We're all in it for the performance, right? OK, yours work better than mine, but I'm not out to impress anyone anyhow.

Now don't get me started on your "4.0" badge. :D (you've got 5.0 envy....admit it).

With all due respect, I don't think OEM (or equivalent) lights look right with retrofitted projectors in them.

I agree, your chrome projectors and grille have more of an oem look than any retrofit. Great looking explorer celly :thumbsup:

I agree, your chrome projectors and grille have more of an oem look than any retrofit. Great looking explorer celly :thumbsup:

Thanks.

I do have Type R stickers all over it and neon underglows, LEDs in every light source possible and many coats of Nightshades on my altezza tails. :D

All you need is a 4.0 emblem :)

I'm in the 5.0 club too :)

ok, ok I am sorry! I was just saying. I guess it's just the neon LED rings. Just not a fan of all that. And I know the 4.0 symbol is corner. It's been long gone :p
I was in the market for one, but I couldn't find one locally at a decent price so I kept the 4.0. I'll shut up now :-x

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok, ok I am sorry! I was just saying. I guess it's just the neon LED rings. Just not a fan of all that. And I know the 4.0 symbol is corner. It's been long gone :p
I was in the market for one, but I couldn't find one locally at a decent price so I kept the 4.0. I'll shut up now :-x

I knew what you were saying. :D

Back