99 Explorer Projector headlights | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer Projector headlights

Im thinking about buying those projectors on ebay, the ones that are basiaclly the whole headlight housing, they dont come with directions, are they plug and play pretty much or does this require any wire splicing and all of that..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your gonna run people right off the road man crank those suckers down

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Like I said it's only a temporary setup as of now. The phone's picture doesn't quite capture what it looks like in person. There's a small amount of glare. I'm gonna head out to the junkyard next week to find a 9145 socket and try the sillicone method. Speaking of which, where on an Explorer can I find those type of light sockets? I'm still kinda confused on where to cut it at.

Why would you want to put HIDs in your fog lights? Don't you want to be able to use your fog lights?

I already had the extra kit plus I wanted to match the low beams. I can always revert back to halogen if the setup doesn't work. There's many people and vehicles on the road with HID's in their fog lamps.

There's many people and vehicles on the road with HID's in their fog lamps.

With all due respect Thomas, there was an a-hole behind me on my way to work this morning. Newer Ranger. HID in his reflector headlights. HID in his fogs. I'm so glad I have a self-dimming rearview because I would have been blinded when he got behind me. The fogs were horribly obnoxious. It would have been blinding to someone approaching him on a dark country road. The headlights were bad enough, but the fogs were horrendous.

Our fogs simply aren't designed to take HIDs. Put projectors in there and then maybe. TRS has some pretty cool projectors designed for foglight enclosures. Invest in some before you go any further. The photos you've shown do show the glare.

I'm telling you this as a friend. So far you're headed down the wrong path if you think you're going to improve on what you've already done to the fogs.

I finally drove the setup tonight on the road for the first time. I got no negative feedback from drivers on the road. Only one lady in a Toyota with non- tinted windows seemed to obviously change out of my way.And that doesn't neccessarily mean it was the fogs. It could of been the low beams since they were on. On top of that, My halogens have done that. I've seen cars with halogens that glared me in the eyes just as bad.
I followed about 6 car lengths behind a P71 state trooper tonight as well, who had I obviously been glaring as bad as that pic showed could have easily pulled me over. Especially since he was at a slight inclined up the road compared to me. I will repeat myself since no one is reading my entire posts. DO NO buy into those pictures. My halogens glared like that as well when I tried to snap photos. It's very deceiving, when you actually stand in that spot in person there is no glare like what is being portrayed in the pic. I honestly shouldn't of even uploaded it because I knew people would be caught off by it. I have them situation to where they're DANG close to the halogen position. A smidge bit brighter? Sure no doubt they're gonna put out a little more. But for the time being they're bearable. Altough I do appreciate the concern, and projectors has been something I would be interested in as well if I can obtain them.

They'll live on in infamy as part of the HIDPlanet fail blog :D

:D:D:D

I saw a 99+ explorer the other night that had plug and plays in the headlights and foglights...oh wait no i didn't, all i saw was a blob of blue light.

I saw a 99+ explorer the other night that had plug and plays in the headlights and foglights...oh wait no i didn't, all i saw was a blob of blue light.

That's what the Ranger I saw yesterday morning looked like.

And Thomas, as long as you're happy with them, that's all that matters.

hey, its cool, enjoy your new HID's.....

They'll live on in infamy as part of the HIDPlanet fail blog :D

Lmao, these are great! +1 to both of you!

I finally drove the setup tonight on the road for the first time. I got no negative feedback from drivers on the road. Only one lady in a Toyota with non- tinted windows seemed to obviously change out of my way.And that doesn't neccessarily mean it was the fogs. It could of been the low beams since they were on. On top of that, My halogens have done that. I've seen cars with halogens that glared me in the eyes just as bad.
I followed about 6 car lengths behind a P71 state trooper tonight as well, who had I obviously been glaring as bad as that pic showed could have easily pulled me over. Especially since he was at a slight inclined up the road compared to me. I will repeat myself since no one is reading my entire posts. DO NO buy into those pictures. My halogens glared like that as well when I tried to snap photos. It's very deceiving, when you actually stand in that spot in person there is no glare like what is being portrayed in the pic. I honestly shouldn't of even uploaded it because I knew people would be caught off by it. I have them situation to where they're DANG close to the halogen position. A smidge bit brighter? Sure no doubt they're gonna put out a little more. But for the time being they're bearable. Altough I do appreciate the concern, and projectors has been something I would be interested in as well if I can obtain them.

See, to me, I just don't understand why you can't see the fact that if you simply bought a pair of Blazer Fogs that:
1) Your car would look much more respectable, and less ricer.
2) Your actual usable light output would be better.
3) You would not be blinding your fellow drivers. (HELL, if im stopped at a traffic light and am on an incline, and I know I am blinding the people on the other side of the road, I *TURN OFF* my headlights so I'm not blinding em)

... its not even like they are that expensive. 45$ new, and I'm sure you could get that down to 20$ used.

But, meh. I guess that's just me.:rolleyes:

But, meh. I guess that's just me.:rolleyes:

yes, it is, on exploreforum we believe in 8000K+ PNP HID kits and ebay housings, hockey puck body lifts, wal mart all terrains and auto zone auxilary lights :thumbsup:

The only thing I don't like about blazers is its easy to burn the chrome finish off the bowl... but, don't have them on for long with your car sitting stationary and it won't be a problem :p:

don't have them on for long with your car sitting stationary and it won't be a problem :p:

Fog/driving lights are a bit overkill for me. I find they don't really add much in the way of usable light. I see just fine with my HIDs (new and old projectors). I use them to be SEEN (I turn them on in crappy weather only).

I guess you'll be "seen" with HIDs in the fogs, fo sho. :D

sspx0085.jpg

Here's the second set lit up.

On this kit on ebay, I didn't see the long adjuster lever to adjust the headlight, so how do you adjust these?

I believe I did it turning a silver bolt on the back of it seemed to adjust them. You can try looking on the back of them to see if that helps.

I believe I did it turning a silver bolt on the back of it seemed to adjust them. You can try looking on the back of them to see if that helps.

Was it hard to get to with them fully installed?

You really have to take them out to reach them. Look for those grey bolts around the low beam housing in the projectors. Just keep playing with it while they're on and hold them on level or have someone hold them level with the other side and just tinker around until you get them leveled right.

I haven't bought them yet, but was just curious.

Tekman, what I meant by don't you want to be able to use your lights is that with HIDs in your fogs, you are scattering more light than you would with halogens, and you are producing much more light. Therefore, in inclement weather conditions, those lights are going to make it much harder to see, and therefore become less useable than your halogen fogs.

Also, remember, just cause no one complains about them doesn't mean they aren't bothering them. It's not like celly got out of his truck and beat the guy who was following him with a tire iron. The guy that was following him probably didn't even know that celly was bothered.

I haven't bought them yet, but was just curious.

They're easy to adjust because the lights go in and out fairly easily vs. stock. Just tweak until you're happy.

Or better....retrofit. :D

Back