99 Explorer Projector headlights | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer Projector headlights

Im thinking about buying those projectors on ebay, the ones that are basiaclly the whole headlight housing, they dont come with directions, are they plug and play pretty much or does this require any wire splicing and all of that..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't you mean "9007"? (assuming you have a '97 like in your profile).

When I first clicked the link you sent me and the page popped up, it already had stuff filled in and that's why i asked about that info, but glad I now know it's 9007 for when I order it, I know I have the right stuff.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

When I first clicked the link you sent me and the page popped up, it already had stuff filled in and that's why i asked about that info, but glad I now know it's 9007 for when I order it, I know I have the right stuff.

The page just defaults to the default settings. Make sure you double check all your options before you place an order if you go this route.

In your experience, which options should I have then when I'm ready to order besides the shrouds? Celly, I wish you had pics of yours when you did it. Just to verify, the only cutting you did was just the top and bottom of shrouds to get it to slide in? Was thinking of getting these to put the projectors in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid=3393978083695712276

Plus is the HID kit from the link you sent me to where each HID harness hooks into the factory headlight plug, or is it the "Y" kit to where the whole kit plugs into the driver's side headlight plug? Hope that made sense.

In your experience, which iptions should I have then when I'm ready to order besides the shrouds? Celly, I wish you had pics of yours when you did it. Just to verify, the only cutting you did was just the top and bottom of shrouds to get it to slide in? Was thinking of getting these to put the projectors in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid=3393978083695712276

Plus is the HID kit from the link you sent me to where each HID harness hooks into the factory headlight plug, or is it the "Y" kit to where the whole kit plugs into the driver's side headlight plug? Hope that made sense.

If I read that correctly, your asking if it it has 1 input, which the answer is yes... The harness only needs 1 input, if you used any HID's with 2, then it didn't have a harness...

theres 1 9007 input plug that tells the harness when to kick the headlights on/off and do hi/lo beam

In your experience, which iptions should I have then when I'm ready to order besides the shrouds? Celly, I wish you had pics of yours when you did it. Just to verify, the only cutting you did was just the top and bottom of shrouds to get it to slide in? Was thinking of getting these to put the projectors in.

Sorry, I don't take photos when I'm doing stuff. Takes me 2X more time than the average person anyhow. Photos would be too distracting for me.

You don't need to cut the bottom of the shroud, just the top. Trim a little at a time until the projector will go in unobstructed.

I went with the mini Gatling Gun shrouds.

The wiring harness is a no brainer. Dreddog nailed it.

Another question is how does it actually mount within the housing to stay sturdy? Is that what the adapter plate is for? Just to make sure I pick the right options when I order. I need the 9007 Adapter Plate and 9007 Wiring harness? Plus do the shrouds screw into the projector or snap into place on it?

The shrouds "snap" onto the projector, but definitely use some Epoxy or something; I would hate to have them fall off and have to reopen the housings. (Read quite a few of these stories over on HIDPlanet)

Another question is how does it actually mount within the housing to stay sturdy? Is that what the adapter plate is for? Just to make sure I pick the right options when I order. I need the 9007 Adapter Plate and 9007 Wiring harness? Plus do the shrouds screw into the projector or snap into place on it?

Yes, you need the 9007 adapter plate and harness. A reminder than the 9007 harness actually comes as a 9004 harness. Structurally identical to 9007, except pins are reversed. Use it right out of the box without swapping the pins and you'll blow a fuse. It's simple to do the swap. Instructions all over HIDplanet on which ones to swap out.

The adapter is not there to secure the projector. It's there to line it up properly within the 9007 mount. Without it, you spend a lot more time tweaking the projector to make sure it's in there straight.

The shrouds sort of snap in but aren't really secure. There are four screw holes which allow you to screw them into the projector from behind. Mine didn't come with screws, but I had plenty of smallish ones around. Hit a hardware store. I wouldn't use epoxy in case you did need to go back in for whatever reason. Also, as part of test fitting, I did remove the shrouds more than once. Use epoxy and you're SOL. I wouldn't use something permanent like glue. My shrouds aren't going anywhere.

It's dead simple to re-open the lights once you've done it before and they open much easier the second time (been there, done that).

The shrouds "snap" onto the projector, but definitely use some Epoxy or something; I would hate to have them fall off and have to reopen the housings. (Read quite a few of these stories over on HIDPlanet)

the MH1 using the Mini GG is different

The shrouds sort of snap in but aren't really secure. There are four screw holes which allow you to screw them into the projector from behind. Mine didn't come with screws, but I had plenty of smallish ones around. Hit a hardware store. I wouldn't use epoxy in case you did need to go back in for whatever reason. Also, as part of test fitting, I did remove the shrouds more than once. Use epoxy and you're SOL. I wouldn't use something permanent like glue. My shrouds aren't going anywhere.

The MGG just kinda slips over tight, I wouldn't even say it snaps on. The 4 screws are intended to hold it on, not the friction of the tight fit...

Alot of people that do different shrouds/projectors use a dab of silicone so they can just pop it off if they want to change it up.

the MH1 using the Mini GG is different

The MGG just kinda slips over tight, I wouldn't even say it snaps on. The 4 screws are intended to hold it on, not the friction of the tight fit...

I didn't think the MH1 application was the same. I figured you'd know the difference. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't expect the shroud to stay put without the screws.

I didn't think the MH1 application was the same. I figured you'd know the difference. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't expect the shroud to stay put without the screws.

only the mini GG mounts with the screws, because it was designed for the MH1. Every other shroud mounts the same way, just snaps on. What you use to make sure it doesn't fall off is up to you

We need more pics of people doing this step by step

We need more pics of people doing this step by step

We need you as a guinea pig. I can't remember if you ordered a kit or not.

I see from your sig that you deal with those crazy AC-130H gunships. A retrofit should be a piece of cake for you.

I said my part about this kit over in the product review section.

I'll do a step by step pictures and everything when I do it. Gotta get new tires first which is gonna run me around $600+ , so after that, then my retrofit is next in line.

I am doing a swap almost identical to Celly's and the parts are on the way! Going with the Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Mini Morimoto 35W with E55R shrouds and Phillips 85122+ bulbs. Sorry for copying you but this looks like the best way to get a decent and proper HID light without major surgery to the housing.

I will try and document things for all those interested.

Thanks to Celly and others who provided the motivation to tackle this.
My 1996 housings are very dull and the light output is very poor compared to anything newer and especially the wife's Flex that has factory HID's.

My only question is about DRL's (daytime running lights) which my vehicle is equipped with. I asked The Retrofit Source about this and this is the response I received.

Hey Brad,

If you use a relay harness, the DRLs become low-beams. If you have a low beam DRL and get a "bulb out warning", we unfortunately advise against using an HID kit.

Thanks Brad!

Andrew @ TRS

On my 1996 limited with the message centre will I get a bulb out scenario with this kit?

I am doing a swap almost identical to Celly's and the parts are on the way! Going with the Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Mini Morimoto 35W with E55R shrouds and Phillips 85122+ bulbs. Sorry for copying you but this looks like the best way to get a decent and proper HID light without major surgery to the housing.

My only question is about DRL's (daytime running lights) which my vehicle is equipped with. I asked The Retrofit Source about this and this is the response I received.

Brad, I went with the H1 kit and mini-Gatling projectors. I hope the kit you get is as easy to install as mine were in the Diamond Cut headlights.

I ditched by DRL around the time I got my first HID kit (5-6 years ago). All you need to do is disconnect the module (easy to do). Mine is still intact, but I don't much care for DRL anyhow. Never had any issues with the fuzz either since I got rid of them. :D

Good luck with the retrofit!

Brad 2

Where is the DRL module located?

Under the driver's side headlight if I recall. Get on your back and look up and you'll probably see it. One module controls the whole system. All you do is disconnect it and it's done. I taped mine off to protect it from the elements, but after 6 years it's probably trashed now. ;)

I found mine via an old thread in the archives. It's pretty easy to locate one you know what you're looking for.

I will try and document things for all those interested.

My 1996 housings are very dull and the light output is very poor compared to anything newer and especially the wife's Flex that has factory HID's.

On my 1996 limited with the message centre will I get a bulb out scenario with this kit?

Did you ever do the retrofit?

Did you ever do the retrofit?

I was under the wrong impression that what I needed was the D2S kit when in reality I need the smaller H1 kit. So where i'm at is, waiting for the H1 kit to arrive after I sent my D2S kit back.

BTW the guys over there at retrofit source are great to deal with on my exchange of parts.

So its coming....

Back